Cambridge Open Studios 2014
Saturday, April 26th
Sunday, April 27th
12noon-6pm each day
Explore Cambridge's diverse collection of public art and experience the myriad of styles and genres that the artists in Cambridge have to offer as you get an inside look at artists' studios, writers' workshops, theater prop rooms, and much more!
:: See what some participating artist have to say about Open Studios
(Please allow a few moments for the video to load)
Watch for the Open Studios Smartphone App
by New Art Love available for download in March.
Free Shuttle Service will be provided by Door to Door Transportation along the highlighted route. Check the Brochure and Smartphone App for shuttle routes and stops throughout the weekend. Arrows indicate shuttle travel direction. Shuttles run in continuous loops. Look for the white shuttle with Open Studio signage.
Our FREE shuttle will be available on the hour at
1000 Massachusetts Avenue
Our FREE shuttle will be available on the half hour at
66 Sherman Street
Parking and Public Transportation:
For neighborhoods in North and West Cambridge such as Alewife and Fresh Pond, down to Porter and Harvard Squares
Harvard Square or Porter Square MBTA subway stops
Buses 1, 83, 77 and others
Visit www.mbta.com for direct routes
Visitors will be able to park in resident permit parking spots during Open Studios hours in the area enclosed by Massachusetts Ave. from Porter Square to Alewife Brook Parkway to the train tracks, back to Porter Square. Meters and resident parking restrictions in all other areas still apply.
For neighborhoods in Lechmere, Inman Square, Kendall Square, Central Square, Mid Cambridge, Area IV and Cambridgeport
Lechmere, Kendall, or Central Square MBTA subway stops
Buses 68, CT2, and others
Visit www.mbta.com for direct routes
Visitors will be able to park in resident permit parking spots during Open Studios hours in the area enclosed by Fulkerson St., to Cambridge, to First St., to Benny St. and back to Fulkerson and the area enclosed by Western Ave. from Memorial Drive to Central Square/ Massachusetts Ave. down to Sidney St., from Sidney St. to Memorial Drive. Meters and resident parking restrictions in all other areas still apply.
Studios are open from 12noon to 6:00pm each day.
Venues ADA Accessibility Information:
The Cambridge Commission for Persons with Disabilities has provided this basic checklist of features to help artists determine whether or not their open studio areas, which are often located in private homes, are minimally accessible to individuals who use wheelchairs. (DISCLAIMER: This is not an exhaustive list and may not be used to determine full compliance with either the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or the Massachusetts Architectural Access Board Rules and Regulations (MAAB; 521 CMR). A full copy of MAAB Rules and Regulations may be found online at www.mass.gov/aab by clicking on “Architectural Access Board” under Programs & Services on the left side of the screen.
Open Studios venue must have all of the following to be considered fully accessible for COS purpuses:
· A hard-surfaced (such as a concrete or asphalt) walkway or ramp with a minimum clear width of 36” leading to an accessible entry
· At least one zero-step entrance into the studio space
· Entry doors (and doors connecting studio spaces) must either have levers that may be operated with a single closed fist (doorknobs are not acceptable) or remain open or be staffed at all times that the studio is open to the public
· A minimum of 32” clear width through all doorways
· A clear route of travel of at least 36” wide into, through, and out of the studio
· At least one clear 60” open circular area within the studio to allow for wheelchair maneuverability
· At least one designated disability parking space, if parking is provided to members of the public (artists may request that the City install temporary disability parking signage on public streets where street parking is permitted by contacting the Cambridge Traffic, Parking, and Transportation Department at 617-349-4700 voice or 617-349-4621 TTY).
Note: All COS Common Venues arranged by the Cambridge Arts Council are Fully Accessible.