ABOUT US  |  FAQS  |  PUBLICATIONS  |  NEWS  |  PHOTO GALLERY  |  RELATED LINKS  |  FORMS  |  CALENDAR  |  CONTACT US  |  HOME
 About Us

Printer-friendly version    
    Lexington Avenue

Engine Company #9

167 Lexington Avenue
Cambridge, Massachusetts  02138

 

Engine 9 Pump

(shown in front of quarters)
2004 Pierce Dash
1250 gallons per minute pump - 500 gallon water tank
Semi Automatic External Defibrillator Certified
photo by Tara Bithia

Engine Company #9

In the year 1861, a privately owned company was organized by the Boston and Maine Railroad and was located in the Prison Point Yards. This company was designated as Washington #9 and was available to the city upon request. Washington #9 was disbanded in 1866.

On June 7, 1894, Chemical Company #2 was organized in new quarters at 167 Lexington Avenue using a Babcock Chemical Engine with 2 - 60 gallon chemical tanks. In 1916, the company was assigned a new Knox combination Hose and Chemical wagon. The company now was designated as Combination #2.

On October 2, 1928, the company was assigned a new American LaFrance 1000 gpm, triple combination pump. The company was now designated as Engine Company #9.

In 1951, a 1948 Pirsch 1000 gpm pump (formerly Engine 2's) was assigned to the company. On Feb. 1, 1952, a new GMC/Robinson hose wagon was placed in service by Engine 9, making the company double unit. This also made all engine companies in the city two-piece companies.

The pump was involved in an accident on Sept. 24, 1955. Auxiliary pump Engine 11 was now in use by Engine 9. On May 15, 1956, a 1944 Pirsch 750 gpm (former Engine 6) was placed in service as the pump. On July 14, 1967 a new International/Farrar hose wagon was assigned to the company, replacing the 1952 GMC.

A new Maxim, 1250 gpm/300 gallon water tank pump was placed in service on Nov. 3, 1971. Following a succession of spare hose wagons in use by the company, Engine 9 became single unit again in September, 1984.

On May 16, 1986, Engine 9 and Engine 5 swapped pumps. Engine 9 now ran with the 1979 Hendrickson/Continental 1250 gpm/500 gallon water tank pump.

On August 11, 1989, a new 1989 Pierce Lance 1250 gpm/500 gallon water tank apparatus was placed in service. This pump was in service until  the spring of 2004, when it was traded in on the newly ordered pump. Engine 9 ran with spare pump Engine 10 (the former Engine 6 pump) until the new pump was delivered and placed in service. 

On August 20, 2004, the current 2004 Pierce Saber 1250 gpm/500 gallon water tank apparatus was paced in service.

- historical information for this narrative was provided by Ed Morrissey

Engine 9 Annual Statistics

Fiscal Year Total Responses Building Fires Emergency Medical Mutual Aid
1990/1991 810 40 237 26
1991/1992 846 43 275 23
1992/1993 831 56 306 23
1993/1994 924 49 344 23
1994/1995 877 50 293 14
1995/1996 855 55 328 20
1996/1997 967 71 343 25
1997/1998 1016 77 363 16
1998/1999 963 58 303 34
1999/2000 946 57 286 21
2000/2001 1021 70 316 15
2001/2002 981 29* 362 18
2002/2003 981 16 327 10
2003/2004 947 25 296 15
2004/2005 1017 32 336 30
2005/2006 890 22 360 2
2006/2007 975 28 402 2
2007/2008 1059 26 456 5

*In 2001/02, the definition of a building fire was modified.

for more information on Engine Company #9
contact the captain
Captain Charles F. Murphy
e-mail address: CMurphy@cambridgefire.org