ABOUT US  |  FAQS  |  PUBLICATIONS  |  NEWS  |  PHOTO GALLERY  |  RELATED LINKS  |  FORMS  |  CALENDAR  |  CONTACT US  |  HOME
 About Us

Printer-friendly version    
    River Street - Southside - Cambridgeport

Engine Company  #6
176 River Street
Cambridge, Massachusetts  02139



2003 Pierce Saber - 1250 gpm pump 
500 gallon water tank - 50 gallon foam tank
Semi Automatic External Defibrillator Equipped
- photo by Tara Bithia

 

ENGINE COMPANY #6 HISTORY

        Engine Company #6 was established in 1852 as Pioneer Engine Company #6 and was located in a building on Pioneer Street in Ward 2, Kendall Square. The company ran with a Hunneman hand engine. The firehouse was moved and rebuilt at the corner of Main and Dock Streets. On 2 March 1864, probably due to manpower and equipment shortages caused by the War Between the States, Pioneer Engine Company #6 was disbanded.

         On 11 May 1891, Engine 6 was reorganized at 176 River Street, Cambridgeport  in a new station. (Over 100 years later, this station is still the home of Engine 6.) The apparatus in 1891 included a new, 900 gpm Manchester Locomotive Works steamer and an Abbot and Downing hose wagon.  The company went in service with 12 men assigned.

        In December 0f 1919, Engine 6 became motorized and single-unit with a new, 750 gpm American LaFrance triple combination pump. In 1926, the company again became two-piece as a 1926, American LaFrance type 40 hose wagon was placed in service.

        In 1926, the station was modernized and Chemical Company #1 moved into these quarters. Chemical 1 had relocated from their previous quarters at 5 Western Avenue. Chemical 1 was disbanded in 1928. In 1928, Engine 1 moved into the River Street fire house. Engine 1 ran out of these quarters until 1934 when they moved into the 491 Broadway fire house.

        A new, triple combination, Pirsch 750 gpm pump was placed in service in June of 1944. In 1949, a GMC/Robinson, high-pressure hose wagon was placed in service by the company. On 14 June 1956, a 1948, Pirsch 1000 gpm pump (former Engine 2 and 9) was placed in service. In December of 1962, a new Pirsch 1000 gpm pump was placed in service. In July of 1966, a new International/Farrar hose wagon was placed in service..

      From 25 December 1979 until 25 February 1981, Engine 6 ran with a spare pump. On 25 Feb 1981, the rebuilt Pirsch pump was placed back in service. On 28 March of the same year, a new International/Maxim hose wagon was placed in service.

        On 7 August 1989, Engine 6 placed the current 1989 Pierce Lance 1250 gpm pump in service. The company also became single unit on this date.  From 4 November 1987 until 30 September 1988, Engine 6 was temporarily quartered at headquarters while the house was undergoing major renovations. On 30 September 1988, Engine 6 moved back into the 176 River Street remodeled quarters.

        Engine 6's current pump, the 1250 gpm, Pierce Saber, was placed in service on 21 January 2003. This pump is equipped with a 500 gallon water tank and a 50 gallon foam solution tank. 

 

(historical information provided by Ed Morrissey)

 

Engine 6 Statistics

FY Emergency
Responses
Building
Fires
EMS
84/85 1436   168
85/86 1377   199
86/87 1378   207
87/88 1341   214
88/89 1442   342
89/90 1432 65 397
90/91 1336 59 374
91/92 1372 50 356
92/93 1332 100 346
93/94 1435 103 376
94/95 1392 108 359
95/96 1432 92 403
96/97 1430 127 462
97/98 1528 168 429
98/99 1404 106 405
99/2000 1511 134 414
2000/01 1552 116 403
2001/02 1542 58* 416
2002/03 1600 50 427
2003/04 1513 60 384
 2004/2005  1381  58  410
2005/2006 1291 39 378
2006/2007 1348 54 405
2007/2008 1501 43 444

*In 2001/02, the definition of a building fire was modified.

 

For questions concerning Engine Company #6, contact the company captain:
Captain Kenneth R. Jenness
e-mail address:
KJenness@cambridgefire.org