ABOUT US  |  FAQS  |  PUBLICATIONS  |  NEWS  |  PHOTO GALLERY  |  RELATED LINKS  |  FORMS  |  CALENDAR  |  CONTACT US  |  HOME
Departmental Information
 About Us

Printer-friendly version
Engine 2

Engine Company #2


Engine 2's current apparatus
2002 Pierce Saber
1250 gpm - 500 gallon water tank
photo by Tara Bithia

Semi Automatic External Defibrillator equipped


Engine Company #2 was established in 1846 and was located in a wood fire house on Main Street. The company at this time was named Union Engine Company #2. In 1851, this fire house was destroyed by fire.

In 1852, Engine 2 occupied a new brick fire house at 789 Main Street, near the corner of Windsor. Union Engine Company 2 shared these quarters with Franklin Hook and Ladder Company #1.(This fire house is still standing and is the current home of the Christian Holiness Mission Church.) The company's apparatus was a Howard and Davis hand engine.

During 1863, the house was remodeled and horse stalls were installed. On 1 August 1863, Engine 2 placed into service an Amoskeag, horse-drawn, second size 400 gpm steamer. In 1872, the company received a new 4-wheel , horse-drawn, hose carriage which had been built by Jones Company. The hose carriage carried 1000 feet of hose. On 28 November 1873, a new Amoskeag 700 gpm steamer was placed in service and in 1892, an Abbot and Downing hose wagon was placed in service.

On 6 February 1894, Engine 2 moved into new quarters on Front Street opposite Main Street. (Front Street was later renamed Massachusetts Avenue.) Over a hundred years later, this is the current quarters of Engine 2 at 378 Massachusetts Avenue. In 1907, Engine 2 and Engine 6 swapped pumps. Engine 2 now was assigned an1891, Amoskeag 900 gpm steam pump.

In 1919, the company was motorized. The 1891 Amoskeag steamer was equipped with a type 31, American LaFrance tractor. A new American LaFrance type 40 hose wagon was placed in service as the wagon. A new American LaFrance 750 gpm pump was assigned to the company in 1926. In June of 1948, a new Pirsch 1000 gpm pump was placed in service by Engine 2 and in July of 1948, a new GMC/Robinson hose wagon was placed in service. In July of 1951, a new Pirsch 1000 gpm pump was placed in service and in July of 1966, a new International/Farrar hose wagon was placed in service.

Engine 2 placed a new Pirsch 1250 gpm pump in service on 26 July 1978. The company placed in service a new International/Maxim hose wagon on 23 July 1982. On 1 April 1984, Engine 2 became a single unit company as the wagon was reassigned to Engine 4. On 16 May 1986, a new International/Saulsbury hose wagon was assigned to Engine 2. On 12 May 1988, this wagon was reassigned to Engine 4. Engine 2 again became a single-unit company. On the 12th of August 1989, a new Pierce Lance 1250 gpm (with 500 gallon water tank) was placed in service by Engine 2. The 1978 pump was reassigned to Engine 8.

Currently, the company runs a 2002 Pierce Saber 1250 gpm pump with a 500 gallon water tank. The 1989 Pierce was designated as Engine 11 and is now a spare pump. 


Engine 2 Annual Statistics

Fiscal Year Emergency Responses Building Fires EMS Mutual Aid
1984/85 1676   210 27
1985/86 1801   301 23
1986/87 1929   385 24
1987/88 2376   886 7
1988/89 2466   1046 8
1989/90 2273 87 839 10
1990/91 2138 82 784 10
1991/92 2277 84 864 7
1992/93 2225 111 779 4
1993/94 2467 114 845 7
1994/95 2446 122 915 4
1995/96 2499 121 918 8
1996/97 2781 147 1248 6
1997/98 2758 181 1110 7
1998/99 2616 122 1039 7
1999/2000 2760 137 1043 6
2001/2002 3035 73 1163 12
2002/2003 2965 71 1095 3
2003/2004 2881 72 1077 5
2004/2005 2651 57 1056 4
2005/2006 2719 52 1177 0
2006/2007 2930 52 1322 2
2007/2008 3045 48 1361 3

*In 2001/02, the definition of a building fire was modified.

For more information on Engine 2, contact the captain:

Captain Frederick B. Ikels

e-mail address: fikels@cambridgefire.org