ABOUT US  |  FAQS  |  PUBLICATIONS  |  NEWS  |  PHOTO GALLERY  |  RELATED LINKS  |  FORMS  |  CALENDAR  |  CONTACT US  |  HOME
Departmental Information
 About Us

Printer-friendly version
Engine Company 3

Engine Company #3

Engine 3 pump - 1999 Pierce
Engine 3's current apparatus
1998 Pierce Saber Foam Pump
1250 gpm main pump/250 gpm foam pump
500 gallon water tank/200 gallon foam tank
also "around the pump proportioner" capacity
roof turret and bumper turret equipped
Semi Automatic External Defibrillator equipped
photo by Brian Higgins
click on the photo to enlarge


Engine Company #3 was organized in 1832 in quarters at 251Cambridge St, near 4th Street. The company at this time was named Niagara 3 and was equipped with a Thayer hand engine. On 18 September 1862, a new Amoskeag 400 gpm horse-drawn steamer was placed in service and a Hunneman horse-drawn hose carriage also was placed in service. Engine 3 became the first horse-drawn company in the city.

On 4 January 1871, the company moved to new quarters at 40 Fourth Street, between Cambridge St. and Gore St. This building also housed Police District  Station #1. On 19 Jan. 1872, a new Amoskeag 600 gpm steam pump was placed in service. On 24 March 1886, a new 4-wheel hose wagon was placed in service by the company.

Engine 3 relocated to new quarters on Third St., near Otis St. on 1 March 1893. On 31 Jan. 1896, the company again moved to new quarters at 35 Third St., at the corner of Gore St. The previous Third St. firehouse was razed for construction of the Middlesex County Court House complex.

In October of 1919, an American LaFrance type 31 tractor was placed under the 1872 steamer and an American LaFrance hose and chemical wagon was placed in service as the wagon. In 1925, a new American LaFrance 750 gpm pump was placed in service by Engine 3.

In July of 1949, a new GMC/Robinson hi-pressure fog/hose wagon was placed in service. In November of the same year, a new Pirsch 1000 gpm pump was delivered and placed in service by the company. A new International/Farrar hose wagon was placed in service in July of 1966. In 1970, the 1949 Pirsch pump was placed out of service. From 1970 until 1977, Engine 3 ran with a series of spare and auxiliary pumps.

On 13 March 1977, a new Pirsch 1250 gpm/foam pump was placed in service. On 18 Sept. 1978, Engine 3 moved to new quarters with Truck 2 at 173 Cambridge Street. On 1 Dec. 1982, Engine 3's hose wagon was reassigned to Engine 9. Engine 3 now became a single unit company. In July of 1998, the current 1998 Pierce Saber foam pump was placed in service.

historical information provided by Ed Morrissey


Engine 3 Photo Gallery
click on the photos to enlarge

Engine 3 1896
Engine 3 circa 1896
in front of quarters - 35 Third Street
photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

 

Engine 3 1919
Engine 3 circa 1919
photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

 

Engine 3 1948 GMC/Robinson Wagon
Engine 3 high pressure fog/hose wagon
1948 GMC/Robinson
photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

 


Engine 3 Annual Statistics

fiscal year total runs building fires emergency medical mutual aid
1990/91 1265 37 388 7
1991/92 1111 61 354 18
1992/93 1106 41 384 15
1993/94 1219 70 398 7
1994/95 1193 49 569 16
1995/96 1214 61 435 6
1996/97 1339 63 553 10
1997/98 1322 73 501 10
1998/99 1264 71 512 9
1999/2000 1378 47 582 9
2000/2001 1484 66 558 6
2001/2002 1418 41 495 5
2002/2003 1481 39 563 5
2003/2004 1518 35 570 6
2004/2005 1264 57 479 6
2005/2006 1346 30 557 0
2006/2007 1533 31 628 1
2007/2008 1518 24 718 0

For information on Engine Company #3, contact the captain:
Captain Jason Grimm
e-mail address jgrimm@cambridgefire.org