ABOUT US  |  FAQS  |  PUBLICATIONS  |  NEWS  |  PHOTO GALLERY  |  RELATED LINKS  |  FORMS  |  CALENDAR  |  CONTACT US  |  HOME
 About Us

Printer-friendly version    
    Engine Company 4

ENGINE #4

       In 1846, Hand Engine 4, named "Hydrant 4," was established and was located in a wood building at Western Avenue and River Street. In 1852, the company, now equipped with a Hunneman engine, moved into a brick building at the same location. Due to the steam department and due to lack of manpower in 1866, the company was confined to police district station 2. On 7 March 1871 Hand Engine Company Number 4 was disbanded. It was the last hand engine company in the department.

       Also on 7 March 1871, "Daniel Webster Engine Company #5" was renumbered to Engine 4. The company was located on Russell Street, North Cambridge in a building built and occupied on 28 May 1869. Engine 4 was equipped with an 1869 Hunneman Steamer and a 2 wheel hose wagon with 900' of hose. In January of 1896, Engine 4 received a new Amoskeag 550 gpm steamer. On 20 November of 1896, the company moved to new quarters at 2029 Massachusetts Av., the corner of Blake Street. A Somerville tapper was placed in service in this house and Engine 4 was also assigned to respond to Somerville line boxes.

       On 14 December 1901, a new Abbot and Downing hose wagon was placed in service with 800' of hose. In July of 1917, Engine 4 became motorized when a new American LaFrance 750 gpm, triple combination pump was placed in service. Engine 4 became a single unit company. In 1922, another new American LaFrance 750 gpm triple combination pump was placed in service. The 1917 pump became a spare. On 1 September 1931, a new Mack hose wagon was placed in service, making Engine 4 a two piece company again.

       In June of 1948 a new Pirsch 1000 gpm pump was placed in service. In July of 1948, a new GMC/Robinson hose wagon was placed in service. In July of 1967, a new International/Farrar wagon was placed in service. In January, 1972, a new Maxim 1250 gpm pump was placed in service. On 1 April 1984, a 1982 (former Engine 2) International/Maxim wagon was placed in service. On 12 May 1988, the 1986 (former Engine 2) International/Saulsbury wagon was placed in service. On 27 April 1995, a 1995 Pierce Saber 1250 gpm pump was placed in service. The wagon was placed out of service on 27 May 2000. Engine 4 became a single unit company at that time.



Engine Company #4
1995 Pierce Saber 
1250 gpm pump/500 gallon water tank
a Semi Automatic Defibrillator Certified Engine Company
- photo by Tara Bithia


Click on the photos below to enlarge

      
photo above: Engine 4's last two-piece company apparatus
1986 International/Saulsbury hose wagon, 250 gpm pump, 500 gallon water tank
(note: the wagon was placed out of service on 27 May 2000)
1995 Pierce Saber pump, 1250 gpm, 500 gallon water tank

 

      
photo above:
Engine 4's 1966 International/Farrar hose wagon

 

       
photo above:
Engine 4's 1948 Pirsch 1000 gpm pump

 

    
photo above:
Engine 4's Abbot & Downing hose wagon circa 1901

(Above photos are from the collection of Ed Morrissey.)
(Historical information was provided by Ed Morrissey.)



photo above:
Engine 4's current quarters at 2029 Massachusetts Avenue -- built 1896
photo by Brian Higgins


Engine 4 Statistics

FISCAL YEAR RESPONSES BUILDING FIRES EMS MUTUAL AID
90/91 1390 43 522 16
91/92 1436 40 587 56
92/93 1541 59 604 30
93/94 1570 82 621 28
94/95 1431 41 569 30
95/96 1483 86 582 24
96/97 1572 98 747 24
97/98 1524 72 618 24
98/99 1376 71 543 15
99/00 1858 57 582 15
2000/2001 1533 73 600 16
2001/2002 1595 27* 633 11
2002/2003 1612 17 635 9
2003/2004 1568 30 635 18
2004/2005 1493 29 648 33
2005/2006 1479 24 705 2
2006/2007 1487 29 708 1
2007/2008 1663 31 820 3

*In 2001/02, the definition of a building fire was modified.

For more information on Engine Company #4, contact Captain Lawrence M. Brogan:

e-mail address: LBrogan@CambridgeFire.org