April 12, 2010
Spring Fire Safety
As good weather arrives, spring is a good time to do a fire safety check around the home. Chief Gerald Reardon and the Cambridge Fire Department encourage all residents to spend some time checking their home’s fire safety. Spring-cleaning is a perfect opportunity to remove items, which may pose a fire hazard.
The City of Cambridge is having a Household Hazardous Waste Collection day on Saturday April 24, 2010 from 9:00am to 1:00pm at the Concord Avenue Armory.
Among the things to look for in the home:
- Discard old containers of paint and or solvents
- Remove needless combustibles from basements especially around heating equipment.
- Have heating equipment serviced by a professional at least once per year.
- Limit use of electrical extension cords.
- Now that clocks have been changed, make sure you change the batteries in your smoke detectors. If smoke detectors are more than 10 years old they should be replaced.
- Consider replacing battery powered smoke detectors with a hard-wired system.
- Be advised of the new regulations in place for smoke detectors in buldings with one to five residential units. The enforcement of these regulations applies when these buildings are being sold or transferred.
For further information visit the Fire Department web site at www.cambridgefire.org; visit the Public Works web site at www.cambridgema.gov/~TheWorks/ for information on the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day.
For additonal information contact Deputy Chief Gerry Mahoney at 617-349-4944.