July 03, 2012
Summer Fire Safety
July 3, 2012
With the warm summer weather having arrived, Fire Chief Gerald Reardon and the Cambridge Fire Department wish to advise the public of the following timely fire safety items:
- Use of Barbecue grills, hibachis etc. are prohibited on rooftops, decks, porches or balconies in the City of Cambridge.
- When using an outdoor grill keep it a safe distance away from a building.
- Never leave a burning grill un-attended. Protect children from burning themselves!
- Be sure that any LP-Gas cylinders are less than 12 years old and are equipped with an overfill protection device.
- If using a charcoal grill, use only charcoal lighter fluid to start the coals. Never add fluid to the fire.
- Use extreme caution when re-fueling a gasoline powered lawn mower. Let the mower cool before adding additional fuel.
- The possession and use of all fireworks by private citizens is illegal in Massachusetts.
- Use of Sky Lanterns is prohibited in the City of Cambridge.
- In the event clothing catches on fire: Stop, Drop and Roll to extinguish the fire!
- Cool a burn. For minor burns, run cool water immediately over the burn. Seek emergency medical help immediately for more serious burns.
- As always, periodically test your smoke detectors and practice escape routes with children.
- Post the phone number for the Poison Control Center near your phone: 1-800-222-1222
For additional information visit the Cambridge Fire Department web site at www.cambridgefire.org
For further information contact Assistant Chief Gerard E. Mahoney at 617-349-4970