September 04, 2012
September 11th Rememberance
To: All Members
From: Gerard E. Mahoney, Chief of Operations
Re: September 11th Remembrance – Eleventh Anniversary (with Pledge of Allegiance and Mychal’s Prayer)
On September 11, 2012, (group 3 on duty), the Cambridge Fire Department will
conduct a respectful and subdued remembrance honoring all those who were
killed in the attacks on the World Trade Center, at the Pentagon, and on the
aircraft at Shanksville, Pennsylvania on September 11, 2001. Nearly 3,000
people were murdered on that day, eleven years ago. We will especially
remember the 343 Fire Department members who gave their lives. Also as a
part of the September 11 Remembrance, we will remember the members of the
armed services who have given their lives in the war against terrorism.
The Cambridge Fire Department protocol for September 11, 2012, will be as
- At all fire houses, open overhead doors and move apparatus outside
where appropriate. (Companies should attempt to be at their own
quarters for this remembrance.)
- Members in Class B uniform, and guests, will form in front of
respective company apparatus.
- Members will wear fire helmets.
- Members will stand at attention.
- Officer in charge will make introduction and brief remarks.
- Members and guests will recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
0959 hours - Time of the South Tower Collapse:
- Signal 5-5-5-5 will be transmitted by fire alarm.
- One full minute of complete silence will be maintained.
- The Officer in charge or other designated person may make brief
remarks to reflect on the attacks of 9/11/2001.
- Reflection should include all lives lost including law enforcement, EMS,
and civilian, as well as fire service.
- Reflection should include members of our military who have given their
lives in defense of freedom and in the battle against terrorism.
- The Senior Firefighter on duty will read Mychal's Prayer.
- Remembrance ceremony will be terminated.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIENCE:
I pledge allegiance to the Flag
of the United States of America,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.
Lord, take me where you want me to go;
Let me meet who you want me to meet;
Tell me what you want me to say
And keep me out of your way.