New or modified curb cut (driveway cut) must be approved prior to the Cambridge Traffic, Parking and Transportation Department’s Building Permit approval.
In order to apply for a curb cut, the property owner must first fill out the Online Permit Application at Application for Driveway Cuts and Openings.
Once the online application is properly filled out and submitted:
- Reviewed by Inspectional Services and, if approved
- Electronically sent on to Traffic, Parking and Transportation, the Historical Commission and the Cambridge DPW. Once approved by these City departments, the application
- Goes before the City Council for final approval. Once the City Council approves the curb cut, the
- The applicant will have the driveway constructed by a private contractor who is responsible for posting a bond with the City Clerk and obtaining a permit from DPW before any work is commenced.
The Cambridge Traffic, Parking and Transportation curb cut guidelines include the following:
- Curb cuts shall be per Cambridge DPW specifications.
- Curb cuts must have safe sightlines (minimum 20-foot visibility in both directions) for motorists entering the roadway or crossing a public sidewalk.
- Concrete sidewalks should continue level across the driveway curb cut.
- Driveway slopes must not exceed 7.5% within 15-feet of a public sidewalk or roadway.
- Curb cuts shall be maximum 20-feet wide in Residential districts and maximum 30-feet wide in Open Space, Business and Industrial districts (Zoning Ordinance 6.43.3).
- Site Plans must show driveway and curb cut widths, slopes and distance from nearest intersection.
Contact Jeff Parenti, Senior Traffic Engineer via email, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-349-4715 for additional information.