After twelve years of growth, Cambridge Carnival, which takes place in August every year, outgrew its Central Square location and now finds a new home in Kendall Square. The event, which will take place on Sunday, August 28, 12-7pm, attracts more than 100,000 people.
The annual Cambridge Carnival International festival uses the Trinidad and Mardi Gras model to bring together Cambridge’s diverse community for a spectacular annual costume parade and celebration. This year’s festival features five entertainment zones in Kendall Square: two live music stages, KidsFest zone, and two DJ zones.
The parade will begin at 12:30pm and starts at Sydney Street and Pacific Street and continues down Sydney and crosses Massachusetts Avenue over to Main Street and ends at Main Street and Vassar Street. The festival site is located in Kendall Square on Main Street between Vassar Street and Broadway, and on either side of Ames Street. Festivities in Kendall Square start at 12 noon and include two live music stages, ethnic foods, exotic arts and crafts, dancing, steel bands, and free interactive activities for children.
The Cambridge Carnival has come a long way since 1992 from a small street fair at University Park, to now one of the most spectacular events in the Greater Boston area. Cambridge Carnival is one of twenty-four North American Caribbean-style Carnivals that Carnival followers seek out. It is not only an event that the diverse Cambridge community can be proud of; it also recognized internationally and has attracted bus-loads of out-of-towners from as far a field as New England, Baltimore, New York, and Maine, as well as visitors from overseas.
The festival is free and open to the public. We encourage the public to take the T or bus. Directions from the T: Take the Redline to Central Square, walk towards Boston/MIT, and make a left on Main Street or take the Redline to Kendall Square and walk along Main Street.
For more information, call 617-492-2518 orvisit: www.CambridgeCarnival.com.
- Parade: 1-3pm - Sydney Street and Pacific, crosses Massachusetts Avenue, continues onto Main Street and ends at Vassar and Main Street in Kendall Square.)
- Festival: 12-7pm -Main Street from Vassar Street to Broadway, and both sides of Ames Street in Kendall Square)
- T Stop.
- Live Music Stages: On the corner of Main and Ames Street; in the courtyard of Kendall Square T stop.
- KidsFest Zone: 12-7pm -Parking lot in the corner of Main Street and Vassar Street)
- DJ Zones: 1- 6:30pm – Corner of Vassar Street and Main Street; 3-6:30pm, Corner of Broadway and Main Street