NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: May 30, 2014
Open Until Filled
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Human Service Programs|
||ESOL Distance Learning Teacher, Community Learning Center|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||19 hours per week, flexible hours|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The ESOL Distance Learning Teacher will work on a collaborative project to orient, instruct, and coach 30 ESOL students who live or work in Cambridge using USA Learns. Supervision will be provided by the Community Learning Center Technology Coordinator. Duties are as follows:
- Screen potential students for ability to succeed in distance learning
- Orient new students to USA Learns
- Set up classes on USA Learns and enroll students
- Check in with students at least weekly by phone or email on their progress with distance learning; provide coaching to encourage persistence and answer questions about the program or specific language issues; keep a log of contact hours
- Correct students' writing activities weekly
- Track student progress and report on it monthly
- Attend meeting of the collaborative partners
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Experience teaching ESOL to adults from beginning to advanced levels
- Experience with distance learning; experience with USA Learns strongly preferred
- Sensitivity to the needs of the adult learner population
- Very strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work on a flexible schedule
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Job requires extensive computer use. Will need to travel around Cambridge for initial meetings with students. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: General office and classroom environment with air conditioning and fluorescent lighting
RATE: $ 24.70 per hour
Internal applicants, submit job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants, submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: email@example.com or to: Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139. Fax: (617) 349-4312. Review of resumes will be ongoing. Position begins September 2014.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, AND PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.