NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: June 27, 2014
Open Until Filled
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Human Service Programs|
||Preschool Teacher, Childcare & Family Support Services|
||D446 – 704|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
||Local 1596 Childcare Workers |
|Hours Per Week:
||40 hrs per week|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Actively participate in establishing long-term curriculum goals to meet the developmental needs of the preschool children in care.
- Plan and implement daily activities and long term projects to meet the curriculum goals under the direction of the Lead Teacher.
- Assist in the design and maintenance of the classroom, taking part in classroom set-up and cleaning with others on the classroom team.
- Conduct developmentally appropriate, child-centered small and large group activities with children on a daily basis.
- Assess children's development using on-line Work Sampling and conduct parent/guardian conferencing three times a year.
- Interact successfully with parents on a daily basis.
- Meet weekly with the Lead Teacher or Teacher/Director to plan, coordinate and prepare classroom activities, policies, and strategies to support individual children and implement written curriculum plans.
- Provide consistent professional support to the Lead Teacher, giving constructive feedback, and seeking and accepting advice to enhance the team functioning.
- Meet with the Lead Teacher/Director, Preschool Manager or other DHSP Childcare staff for planning or supervision on a regular basis.
- Participate actively in program related meetings, including parent meetings, all-staff meetings, meetings with the Preschool Manager and program consultants.
- Participate in in-service training workshops offered by the Childcare Division, DHSP or other outside resources.
- Complete the training requirements yearly, as per EEC regulations, and adhere to all EEC regulations as well as those established by the Childcare Division, DHSP or the City of Cambridge.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must meet or exceed EEC regulations for Preschool Teacher and be at least 21 years of age. Minimum of a CDA in Early Childhood Education or an Associate's Degree; BA preferred. Should have at least two years supervised experience with children.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk, walk, and hear. The employee is occasionally required to run, during play or responding to an emergency. Employees are frequently required to engage with children on the floor and at their eye level. Employees are frequently required to use their hands and arms to handle and manipulate objects as well as reach. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move a child. Vision abilities are required for supervision of children.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential function of this job. The noise level is moderately to very loud. It includes classroom, outdoor playgrounds, and occasional field trips.
RATE: $17.19 - $19.92/hr + benefits
Internal applicants, submit job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants, submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: email@example.com or to Renee Johnson, DHSP, 51 Inman St, Cambridge, MA. Fax: (617) 349-6248; Phone 617-349-6212. Candidates may also apply on Schoolspring.com and apply for Job ID #886772 or go to http://www.schoolspring.com/job?886772 Review of resumes is ongoing.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, AND PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.