NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: July 18, 2014
Open Until Filled
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Human Service Programs|
||Community Engagement Team Outreach Workers (Part-Time) to engage underserved: Somali & African American families.|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||12 hours per week, flexible, mornings, afternoons, and/or evenings, weekends|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Attend all required training sessions.
- Become familiar with available Cambridge resources that provide children with early literacy exposure.
- Refer families to early learning services and events that benefit the literacy development of their children.
- Organize a series of culturally appropriate parenting workshops to underserved families with young children in Cambridge.
- Participate on advisory boards and/or round table discussions, as assigned, that are addressing issues to reach hard to reach families.
- Participate in discussions and educate the Community Engagement Team about outreach strategies for building relationships with hard to reach communities.
- Complete all required paperwork: document outreach activities and participate as needed in the evaluation of the program.
- Attend all outreach worker team meetings.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Should speak language of underserved community
- Sincere desire to reach underserved Cambridge families with young children
- Ability to relate well with diverse groups and individuals
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn about, early learning community resources
- High motivation
- Strong work ethic
- Willingness to learn and to teach others
Experience and/or Education
- Experience with parenting
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Job requires some walking
WORK ENVIRONMENT: General office environment with air conditioning and fluorescent lighting
RATE: $14.71 per hour
Internal applicants, submit job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants, submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to email@example.com or to: Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139. Fax: (617) 349-4312. Review of resumes will be ongoing. Positions open until filled.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, AND PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.