NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: August 3, 2016
Open Until FIlled
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Human Service Programs|
||Group Leader/Program Assistants for Afterschool Enrichment Classes, Division of Community Schools|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||2 – 19.5 hrs/wk. Hours vary by site, afternoons from 1:30-6pm some evening meetings, some weekend special events|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design a developmentally sound, inclusive afterschool enrichment curriculum with written lesson plans (one page template provided) to enhance the social, physical, academic, intellectual well-being of children ages 4 - 11 yrs old. Topics include arts, math, science, physical fitness, healthy cooking, cultures, foreign languages, literacy, chess and homework.
- Facilitate one hour courses, including Homework help, and other enrichment areas to supplement the Cambridge Public School curriculum during Out of School Time.
- Supervise program assistants, inclusion support staff, student interns and volunteers
- Order supplies with guidance of Community School Director
- Maintain regular communications with parents through daily contacts and conversation.
- Help with set up, dismantling, and packing up of program equipment
- Maintain a neat classroom environment, including daily cleaning of the classroom : sweeping,
- vacuuming, mopping of spills, etc.
- Participate in meetings called by Community School Director, usually once/month such as: supervision, trainings, workshops, policy review sessions, or other program related needs.
- Participate in some family events, some evenings and weekend hours
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be 21 yrs of age
- Associates Degree preferred
- One year minimum of practical experience working with children ages 4 yrs-12 yrs of age
- CPR and First Aid certification or be trained within 3 months of hire
- Interest in working with children and families from diverse cultural, economic backgrounds, and special needs.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Employee is frequently required to sit, talk, walk and hear. Occasionally required to run, during play or responding in an emergency. Frequently required to engage with children on the floor and at their eye level. Frequently required to use hands and arms to handle and manipulate objects as well as reach. Vision abilities are required for supervision of children.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: the noise level is moderately to very loud. Work environment includes classroom and outdoor playgrounds and occasional field trips.
RATE: $15.26 - $16.50/hr depending on experience
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Review of resumes begins immediately. Positions will remain open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.