NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: March 28, 2017
Open Until FIlled
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Public Works Department (DPW)|
||Tree Inventory/Management Plan Intern|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||30 hrs per week, 6-8 weeks temporary position beginning June 1, 2017|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reports to the DPW City Arborist and works closely with the Information Systems Manager for the DPW. Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist in updating an inventory of street trees in the City.
- Create and/or update the tree inventory for the Cambridge Common, Cambridge Cemetery, Cambridge Golf Course and various other locations throughout the City.
- Collect information on street trees including caliper, species and location.
- Record location of trees in the field using GIS software.
- Field survey on foot covering potentially +/- 5 miles a day
- Coordinate work through the DPW Forestry Unit and MIS
- Develop a forestry management plan by compiling existing data and consulting with staff
Working knowledge in personal computer operation and experience in working with Windows programs such as Access, Excel and Word. Proficiency in GIS as well as an MCA, ISA and/or MCLP certification is a plus. Undergraduate coursework in Horticulture/Forestry/Plant Biology desired. Massachusetts Driver's License Class D preferable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to identify common tree species
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to read a map
- Good writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: Moderate physical activity including lifting, bending, squatting, stretching, pushing, dragging, reaching, and pulling. Walk and/or bike up to several miles a day. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Employee will be exposed to all weather conditions.
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: email@example.com or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Review of resumes is ongoing. Position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.