NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: April 21, 2017
Open Until FIlled
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Human Service Programs|
||Family Support Playgroup Leader (3, part-time positions)|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||3-10 hours per week, flexible times|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Center for Families is a family support program serving families with children from birth to eight years. The program values diverse, flexible, teamwork-oriented staff members who are committed to being responsive to all families. The Center for Families provides information and referral services, parent education and support groups, playgroups, home visits, and other services. The Center offers both Drop-in Playgroups as well as Community Playgroups. Cambridge Community Playgroups is a collaborative program that organizes and offers a variety of playgroups for parents/caregivers and children ages 1-5 around the City.
Playgroup Leaders work with Center for Families staff to develop and implement playgroup programming. All Playgroups meet for one and a half hours one day per week. Community Playgroups run for 8-session series. Playgroups meet in approved locations that may or may not be set up as classrooms. Playgroups include a variety of developmentally appropriate activities for different age children and help parents and caregivers learn about how to effectively support children's growth and learning. Playgroup Leaders work with another Playgroup Leader or a volunteer parent helper to set up the space, lead the group, and clean up the space. Leaders and parent helpers meet briefly after each group to go over plans for the coming week. Part-time Playgroup Leaders/Outreach Workers report to the Center for Families' Family Services Coordinator or another designated full-time staff member.
- Attend playgroup training as required
- Plan and lead weekly playgroups (gross motor, sensory, literacy, art, and music activities; circle time, and snack)
- Arrive at playgroup location half an hour before group each week to set up
- Provide information and direct support to families
- Call families when needed to ensure continued success of playgroup attendance
- Communicate with Community Playgroups team if you feel a family may be in need of additional support or services
- Work with Community Playgroups team to develop parent leadership
- Participate in staff meetings, supervision meetings, and staff development activities as required
- Complete attendance data reports and other evaluation tools as necessary
- Associates Degree, OCCS Teacher Certification or equivalent experience
- At least one year experience working with families
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Experience working in a multicultural environment with diverse families
- Knowledge of developmentally appropriate play for toddlers and preschoolers
- Familiarity with children and family services
- Bilingual candidates preferred
- Cambridge residents encouraged to apply
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The employee is frequently required to sit, talk, walk, stand, see and hear. The employee is occasionally required to run, during play or responding to an emergency. Employees are frequently required to engage with children on the floor at their eye level. Employees are frequently required to use their hands and arms to handle and manipulate objects as well as reach. Employees must occasionally lift and/or move a child. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The noise level in work environment is moderately to very loud. The work environment includes offices, classrooms, youth centers, housing development community rooms, neighborhood houses activity rooms, outdoor playgrounds, parks, families' home and occasional field trips.
Internal applicants, submit job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants, submit both your resume and letter of interest by 5:00 pm via email to: email@example.com or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139. Fax: (617) 349-4312. Position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.