NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: June 13, 2017
Open Until Filled
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Human Service Programs|
||ESOL Teachers for Adult Education Classes (ESOL Literacy through Intermediate ESOL), Community Learning Center (CLC)|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||Part Time 3.5 to 19.5 hours per week, mornings and/or evenings. Paid preparation time: for each 1.5 hour contact time, 1 hour paid preparation time|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teach English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes to adult students
- Develop instructional materials and lesson plans, based on CLC Curriculum and Massachusetts ABE Curriculum Frameworks and the College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education
- Follow CLC scope and sequence for ESOL levels 1-5
- Provide on-going assessment of students
- Keep records of student attendance
- Conference individually with students at the end of each semester
- Review and track goals and achievements with students
- For higher level classes, assist students in developing or reviewing education and career plans through classroom activities
- Integrate technology into instruction
- Communicate with advisors about student issues
- Participate in paid staff and program development activities including level groups
- Knowledge of methods and materials used in ESOL instruction
- Sensitivity to the needs of the adult learner population
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of one year of experience teaching ESOL, preferably to adults
- Experience teaching English using computer-based programs preferred
- BEST Plus and/or TABE CLAS-E certification highly desirable
- Experience with the needs of adult learners in a community-based setting
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Job requires some computer use. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: General office and classroom environment with air conditioning and fluorescent lighting
RATE: $ 26.31 per hour (2.5% COLA will be added effective 7/1/17)
Internal applicants, submit job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants, submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139. Fax: (617) 349-4312. Applicants may also apply by going to schoolspring.com and apply for Job ID# 2808164 or go to https://www.schoolspring.com/job.cfm?jid=2808164 Review of resumes will begin immediately. Positions begin in September, 2017.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.