NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: July 11, 2017
Open Until Filled
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Human Service Programs|
||Community Engagement Team Outreach Worker (part-time) to engage underserved communities of Cambridge: African-American, Bangladeshi, Chinese, Ethiopian, Haitian, and Arabic and Spanish-speaking (7 openings)|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||12-14 hours per week, flexible, mornings, afternoons, and/or evenings, weekends|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Attend all required training sessions.
- Become familiar with available Cambridge resources that provide children with early literacy exposure.
- Refer families to early learning services and events that benefit the literacy development of their children.
- Organize a series of culturally appropriate parenting workshops to underserved families with young children in Cambridge.
- Participate on advisory boards and/or round table discussions, as assigned, that are addressing issues to reach hard to reach families.
- Participate in discussions and educate the Community Engagement Team about outreach strategies for building relationships with hard to reach communities.
- Complete all required paperwork: document outreach activities and participate as needed in the evaluation of the program.
- Attend all outreach worker team meetings.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must speak language of underserved community
- Sincere desire to reach underserved Cambridge families with young children
- Ability to relate well with diverse groups and individuals
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn about, early learning community resources
- High motivation
- Strong work ethic
- Willingness to learn and to teach others
Experience and/or Education
- Experience with parenting
- Cambridge resident strongly preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Job requires some walking
WORK ENVIRONMENT: General office environment with air conditioning and fluorescent lighting
RATE: $15.26 per hour
Internal applicants, submit job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants, submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to: Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139. Fax (617) 349-4312. Review of resumes will begin September, 2017. Positions will remain open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.