NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: October 24, 2017
Resumes and Letters of Interest Requested by: 11/15/17. Position is considered open until filled.
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Community Development Department|
||Graphic Design & Communications Intern|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||12-15 hours per week; Temporary position through June 2018|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Community Development Department (CDD) is the planning agency for the City of Cambridge. Encompassing the Housing, Economic Development, Community Planning, and Environmental and Transportation Planning divisions, CDD's mission is to foster a livable, sustainable, and equitable community. CDD engages and collaborates with community partners, other government agencies, and residents to make Cambridge a desirable place to live, work, learn, play, and innovate.
Reporting to CDD's Communications Manager, the selected candidate will provide graphic and design support to the department's communications campaigns. Specific responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with Communications Manager to establish department-wide collateral material guidelines and style guides
- Create basic layouts/design templates for postcards, posters, brochures, flyers, reports, and other materials
- Create original designs and graphics for communications campaigns supporting each division of CDD
- Create digital designs and graphics for social media use (Facebook ads, Twitter posts, etc.)
- Establish format for photo and image library and maintain as needed.
- Assist with print production (set up files, archive, etc.)
- Participate in meetings and brainstorming sessions for upcoming communications campaigns
- Provide communications-related administrative support as needed
- Currently pursuing a Graphic Design undergraduate or graduate degree or possess equivalent work experience
- Advanced Skills in Adobe Creative Cloud (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign)
- Demonstrated experience in layout design and typography
- Ability to meet deadlines and work both independently and collaboratively; the candidate will be detail-oriented and capable of discussing "big picture" ideas
- Ability to prioritize and manage simultaneous tasks and projects
- Ability to communicate with a diverse range of Department staff and other City employees in a courteous and professional manner.
- Interest in civic engagement, community outreach, and communications a plus.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Ability to read and analyze large quantities of information. Sufficient mobility to get back and forth from office and to off-site meetings. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to person essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Standard office environment. Fluorescent lighting and air conditioning. Moderate noise level.
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest as well as a link to your portfolio; external applicants submit both your resume, letter of interest and a link to your portfolio via email to: email@example.com or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resumes and letters of interested requested by: 11/15/17. Position is considered open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.