NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: August 31, 2017
Open Until FIlled
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Human Service Programs|
||Lifeguards, Division of Recreation|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||19.5 hrs/wk – Part Time/Seasonal position|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervises the activities of swimmers by enforcing pool safety rules and regulations
- Maintains constant surveillance of patrons in the facility;
- Warns swimmers of improper activities or hazards
- Prevents injuries by minimizing or eliminating hazardous situations or behaviors
- Identify swimmers in distress, perform the appropriate save and provide necessary care (ie. First aid, rescue and breath).
- Notifies appropriate personnel of any accidents, rescues, or problems that have arisen, equipment repairs needed, or facility maintenance required
- Answers inquiries pertaining to use of pool and deal with patron issues
- Works with other lifeguards or staff and attend meetings as needed.
- Performs additional duties as required (i.e, upkeep of office space, performing in service trainings)
Current American Red Cross Certificates in Lifeguarding and CPR/FPR. Must be at least 15 ½ years old, and able to pass swim test administered by department. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations, follow instructions and communicate with the public required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit, kneel, stand, stoop, communicate, reach and manipulate objects. This position requires mobility. Duties require attentiveness to visual and audible cues for recognition and identification of swimmers in distress or in process of unsafe behaviors. The position requires proficient swimming ability and the proper application of rescue and first-aid technique as well as the ability to properly extract victims from the pool(s) to the deck and move equipment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Chlorinated Natatorium including lighting and heating/cooling systems.
RATE: $16.15 per hour (rate effective 3/1/19)
Internal applicants, submit job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants, submit 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest via email to: email@example.com or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139. Fax: (617) 349-4312.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.