NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: October 2, 2018
Position is Considered Open Until Filled
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Human Service Programs|
||Teacher for Adult Education Basic Reading Class (part-time), Community Learning Center|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 7:45-9:15 p.m. plus 3 hours of preparation (6 hours in all)|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare lessons for each class for two levels of students (GLE 1-1.9; GLE 2-3.9).
- Apply knowledge of the special needs of students with learning disabilities and basic literacy issues to create a classroom environment that is responsive to the needs of all learners-including ESOL students whose literacy needs override their need for further English classes.
- Train classroom aides in working with small groups.
- Follow a theme-based CCRS-aligned scope and sequence and a series of instructional units developed by CLC staff.
- Engage in paid professional development and meetings with supervisor on a regular basis.
- Participate in 2.5 paid planning weeks.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience; master's degree preferred
- Coursework in reading and learning disabilities
- At least two years of experience working with adults in a diverse, multicultural setting
- Wilson or Orton-Gillingham certification strongly preferred
- Experience administering the DAR strongly preferred
- Ability to prepare and use leveled reading materials to meet the needs of a diverse group of learners
- Ability to guide classroom aides in running homogeneous reading groups
- Ability to work under the supervision of a full-time staff person and to take constructive feedback
- High level of organization, motivation, and conscientiousness
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Job requires some computer use. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: General office environment with air conditioning and fluorescent lighting
RATE: $27.64 per hour
Internal applicants, submit job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants, submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139. Fax: (617) 349-4312. Applicants may apply directly through SchoolSpring.com and apply for Job ID# 3023795 or go to https://www.schoolspring.com/employer/jobs/job.cfm?j_id=3023795 Review of resumes is ongoing. Position is considered open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.