NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: July 13, 2018
POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Human Service Programs|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||19.5 hours/week. Hours are on an on-call basis and vary week-to-week and day-to-day. Additional hours may be required during elementary school vacation weeks and early release days.|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To provide teaching support for 7 preschool programs and 7 afterschool programs. Support includes helping teachers maintain normal classroom schedules and activities as well as supporting children's engagement in the program. Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Upon arrival, ask the site director for instructions regarding their job responsibilities for the time period they are in the classroom.
- Support a positive learning environment in the classroom by supporting the engagement of children in classroom activities and routines. Be alert to situations that may result in conflicts between children and scan the environment as to ensure the children's safety at all times.
- Assist teachers in the facilitation of learning activities. This may require working one-on-one with a child or with a small group of children as they work towards completing the activity.
- With staff, ensure the safety of children while playing outdoors, on a field trips or while transitioning from one location to another. This includes situational awareness and knowledge of elementary safety precautions.
- Assist teachers with a variety of classroom duties such as lunch and snack preparation. Maintain classroom, including classroom clean-up, as needed.
- Refer any children's behavior or disciplinary issues and parent concerns to teachers.
- Maintain professional manner at all times.
- Experience working with children of various ages
- Adaptable to different working environments and styles
- Strong communication skills
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. required, Associates Degree preferred
- 18 years or older
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk, walk, and hear. The employee is occasionally required to run, during play or responding to an emergency. Employees are frequently required to engage with children on the floor and at their eye level. Employees are frequently required to use their hands and arms to handle and manipulate objects as well as reach. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move a child. Vision abilities are required for supervision of children. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to very loud. The work environment includes classroom and outdoor playgrounds and occasional field trips.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Direct supervision from site director (Afterschool Head Teachers or Preschool Directors). Employee will report to the Program Assistant for daily/weekly schedules, timesheets, payroll and personnel issues.
Internal applicants, submit job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants, submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: email@example.com or to Renee Johnson, DHSP, 51 Inman St, Cambridge, MA. Fax: (617) 349-6248 Phone 617-349-6212. Applicants may also apply by going to schoolspring.com and apply for Job Code ID # 2974686 or go to https://www.schoolspring.com/job.cfm?jid=2974686 Review of resumes is ongoing. Position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.