NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: July 24, 2018
POSITIONS WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Human Service Programs|
||ESOL Teachers for Adult Education Classes (ESOL Literacy through Intermediate ESOL), Part-Time,Community Learning Center (CLC)|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||5 to 19.5 hours per week, evening hours. The classes we are hiring for are all 6:15 pm - 9:15 pm. Paid preparation time: for each 1.5 hours of contact time, 1 hour paid preparation time.|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teach English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes to adult students
- Develop instructional materials and lesson plans, based on CLC Curriculum, the Massachusetts ESOL Curriculum Frameworks and the College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education
- Follow CLC scope and sequence for ESOL levels Pre-1 to 5
- Provide on-going assessment of students
- Keep records of student attendance
- Conference individually with students at the end of each semester
- Review and track goals and achievements with students
- For higher level classes, assist students in developing or reviewing education and career plans through classroom activities
- Integrate technology into instruction
- Communicate with advisors about student issues
- Participate in paid staff and program development activities including level groups
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of methods and materials used in ESOL instruction
- Sensitivity to the needs of the adult learner population
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Experience and/or Education
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of one year of experience teaching ESOL, preferably to adults
- Experience teaching English using computer-based programs preferred
- BEST Plus and/or TABE CLAS-E certification highly desirable
- Experience with the needs of adult learners in a community-based setting
Job requires some computer use. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General office and classroom environment with air conditioning and fluorescent lighting
RATE: $ 27.65 per hour
Internal applicants, submit job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants, submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139. Fax: (617) 349-4312. Applicants may also apply directly through schoolspring.com and apply for Job ID#2980450 or go to https://www.schoolspring.com/job.cfm?jid=2980450
Review of resumes will begin immediately. Positions begin in September 2018.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.