NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: December 12, 2018
POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Human Service Programs|
||Assistant Teacher – Pre-School|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||19.5 hours per week (10 month/yr)|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Assistant Preschool Teacher is responsible for and expected to:
With support from the Teacher/Director and Teacher plan scheduled curriculum activities that:
- Correspond to the educational philosophy and goals of the program;
- Meet the Department of Early Education and Care (EEC), NAEYC, QRIS, and DHSP curriculum standards and guidelines
- Meet weekly with the Teacher/Director or Teacher to review and, if needed, improve weekly written curriculum plans.
- Conduct child-centered play-based small and large group activities with children on a daily basis.
- Under the direction of the teacher/director and teacher, help arrange and maintain classroom space which allows for a large variety of activities that promotes children's growing independence in using the classroom resources and materials.
- Maintain classroom space free from hazards as well as implement safety/playground checklists as per EEC, NAEYC, QRIS, DHSP regulations.
- Provide nurturing and socially responsive care to all children enrolled in the program.
- Participate with the team to meet with parents for conferences held three times per year
- Under the direction of the Teacher/Director and teacher maintain regular and respectful communication with parents regarding their child's daily experiences in the program through daily conversations or meetings. In all communications, respect child, family, and staff confidentiality
- Participate in a variety of meetings: parent meetings or workshops; staff meetings with the Teacher/Director, Preschool Manager, or other DHSP Childcare staff; and with program consultants.
- Fulfill some Teacher position responsibilities when Teacher is not present.
- Maintain professional knowledge through participation in in-service training workshops offered by the Childcare Division or other outside resources as well as meeting educational requirements established by the Department of Early Care and Education and the City of Cambridge.
- Must meet EEC regulations for preschool assistant teacher and be at least 18 years of age.
- Minimum of High School Diploma or Equivalent
- At least some experience and an interest and ability to work with young children.
- Willingness and ability to attend ongoing trainings and education related to field of Early Education
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to:
- Be agile in their movements; moving quickly from sitting on the floor to standing, to kneeling so as to be at the child's eye level. Employees may have to run after children, both in play and to respond to an emergency.
- Be able to hear children who speak in a soft voice or mumble words when distressed.
- Be able to use their hands and arms to move, reach, handle, and manipulate objects in the classroom. This includes moving furniture once a year when room is re-organized.
- Be able to occasionally lift and/or move a child (up to 40 pounds).
- Vision abilities are required for the supervision of children.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential function of this job. The noise level is moderately to very loud. It includes classroom, outdoor playgrounds, and occasional field trips
RATE: $18.51 - $21.00 hour
Internal applicants submit job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest. External applicants. submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to Renee Johnson, DHSP, 51 Inman St., Cambridge, MA. FAX: 617-349-6248. PHONE: 617-349-6212. Applicants may also apply directly through schoolspring.com and apply for job code ID # 3033062 or go to https://www.schoolspring.com/job.cfm?jid=3033062 Review of resumes is ongoing. Position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.