NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: January 24, 2019
RESUMES AND LETTERS OF INTEREST REQUESTED BY 02/26/19 POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Community Development Department|
||Economic Development Intern|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||8-10 hours / week to start with the possibility of adding more (up to 19.5 depending on schedule); February-March 2019 (exact date negotiable). A minimum commitment until August 2019 is preferred.|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Economic Development Division of the City of Cambridge's Community Development Department is responsible for a wide range of activities designed to meet the City's need for a diversified and thriving economic base. The goals of the Division include Promoting thriving commercial districts; Cultivating a supportive environment for small, women and minority-owned businesses; Promoting a real estate market that offers a diverse array of options for the development and leasing of business properties of different size use categories; Supporting efforts to sustain a diverse array of employment opportunities accessible to Cambridge workforce; Marketing Cambridge as a location for business; and Maintaining a supportive business climate.
The selected candidate will be responsible for a wide variety of tasks with a focus on: outreach to small business and startup companies, food trucks, customer intercept and district surveying, open data development, and other areas as needed. The selected candidate will need to gain an understanding of the full range of economic development programs offered by the City. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Research and Analysis:
- Undertake customer intercept surveying and business inventory in commercial districts around Cambridge.
- Assist in research and analysis to support the development of new and expansion of existing business development programs and reporting.
- Collect data on different industries and demographic information; use data to create written and graphical data summaries.
- Assist with outreach and evaluation of business programs, including the Cambridge Food Truck Program, grant programs, and construction mitigation efforts
- Market business development programs in the field and through additional outreach events.
- Assist with community meetings.
Additional projects may be identified based on the applicant's skills and interests and the division's needs.
- Current student pursuing a degree in Public Policy, Urban Planning, or Business Administration. Graduate students are encouraged to apply.
- Interest in economic development and small business programming.
- Commitment to supporting the City's economic development goals.
- Ability to effectively communicate with the public, one-on-one and in groups.
- Ability to work well with individuals and groups from diverse backgrounds.
- Willingness to travel locally for work-related field work.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Excel and Word.
- Basic knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign) and Salesforce are desirable, but not required.
- Basic knowledge of GIS software is a plus.
- Experience creating maps, graphs, and slides for presentations and marketing handouts.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Standard office environment. Fluorescent lighting and air conditioning. Moderate noise level.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Answer telephones and maintain multiple files. May require minimal lifting of up to 10 pounds. Willingness to travel locally for work-related field work. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
RATE: $15.64 per hour
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest by 5pm on the closing date via email to: email@example.com or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resumes and letters of interest requested by 2/26/19. Position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.