NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: January 29, 2019
CLOSING DATE: March 4, 2019
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Public Works Department (DPW)|
||Technical Support Specialist|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||37.5 hours per week|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
At the direction of the Public Works Information Systems Manager, the Technical Support Specialist is responsible for providing a high level of customer service to all Public Works end-users. This individual must be familiar with help desk call logging systems and monitoring a helpdesk queue. The individual will provide support for all Public Works PCs, laptops, and tablets. The individual will assist in the support of Public Works specific computer programs and hardware including but not limited to vehicle maintenance software, GPS, SCADA systems and the DPW asset management programs.
The Technical Support Specialist researches and analyzes issues, recommends the best course of action on resolving issues. The incumbent will understand and adhere to all City standards and best practices while analyzing proposed solutions, and developing recommendations which support management decisions, and the City's mission.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide excellent customer service and perform job responsibilities in a professional manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively (orally, graphically, and in writing) with users to facilitate the successful completion of assigned tasks.
- Maintain technical proficiency in PC software, hardware, and business process.
- Configure and deploy PCs, laptops, tablets, and printers to end-users leveraging enterprise network imaging tools.
- Engage in training to ensure a high level of knowledge related to the latest technology.
- Assist with software and system upgrades as assigned.
- Ability to maintain professionalism in a technical support environment.
- Work with other City staff and vendors to support city software applications and systems.
- Provide support for software and hardware applications used by Public Works
- Ability to manipulate data and generate reports when requested.
- Ability to solve technical problems in an efficient and methodical manner
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Three (3) years of experience performing technical support duties in a mid-size organization.
- Bachelor's degree in information technology, or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Skills in performing routine hardware troubleshooting on various computers, monitors, printers, scanners, etc.
- Proficient in Microsoft windows operating systems and Microsoft Office products.
- Basic knowledge of hardware components and how they relate relevant to Local Area Networks (LANs) and Wide Area Networks (WANs)
- Knowledge of PC and Server hardware support, software applications design, and networks
- Knowledge of Android, iOS and Windows, mobile device systems.
- Basic database skills
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Answer telephones and maintain multiple files. Must read and analyze large quantities of information. Must have sufficient mobility to get back and forth from office to off-site meetings. Ability to lift 25 lbs.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is conducted primarily in an office environment with fluorescent lighting, air conditioning, computers and other standard office equipment, but also involves meetings in other offices or facilities.
RATE: $71,254 - $91,409 + excellent benefits
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest by 8pm on the closing date via email to: email@example.com or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.