NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: January 28, 2019
RESUMES AND LETTERS OF INTEREST REQUESTED BY 03/28/19 POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Benefits & Compensation Manager|
|Civil Service Position:
||Subject to Civil Service rules and regulations|
|Hours Per Week:
||37.5 hours per week|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Personnel Director through the Assistant Director/Human Resource Administration and working as part of the management team of the Personnel Department, the Manager/Benefits & Compensation is responsible for the day to day administration of a comprehensive program of municipal employee/retiree benefits and supports other areas of personnel functions. Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Directs employee and retiree benefit programs to ensure the delivery of services, the coordination of benefits, regulatory compliance, and the containment of costs. Administer programs including health, life and dental insurance, FSA, EAP, unemployment benefits, and disability insurance programs
- Manage the administration of City’s 457(b) voluntary and OBRA deferred compensation plans in accordance with IRS guidelines and fiduciary obligations
- Conducts compensation program evaluation and analysis, conducts job evaluations and job classification reviews, makes salary recommendations as appropriate.
- Supervises Employee Benefits staff, handles unusual or escalated issues as needed
- Participates in selection of vendors, contract renewal processes, and negotiation of plan design and rates, reviews vendor performance;
- Monitors enrollments in insurance plans; collects, compiles and analyzes data (plan services, workforce profile and projections, OPEB studies) necessary for planning and decision making, projects utilization trends and costs.
- Maintain a good working knowledge of benefit legislation, standards and best practices, stays informed on most recent changes, modifying processes to ensure compliance
- Participates in setting departmental goals, preparing and overseeing budgets, and monitoring performance.
- Advises and counsels City department staff, employees and retirees on personnel issues, particularly as they relate to benefits and compensation.
- Develops, reviews and updates City Personnel policies
- Coordinates/manages special projects, often with a benefits and/or compensation focus
- Perform related work as required
Requires knowledge of employee benefits programs, compensation analysis, and personnel administration. Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with solid customer service orientation. Previous supervisory experience required. Must be able to able to handle confidential information discreetly. Computer literate, especially in the use of MS Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook). Knowledge of PeopleSoft HRIS modules a plus. Five years of human resource/employee benefits experience. Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent combination of training and experience.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Answer telephones and maintain multiple files. May require minimal lifting of up to 10 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: General office environment with air conditioning and fluorescent lighting. Requires attendance at off site meetings. Noise level can be high as the office is active with phone calls and walk in applicants.
RATE: $77,715-$98,190 annually + excellent benefits
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resumes and letters of interest requested 3/28/19. Position is Considered Open Until Filled
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.