NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: April 10, 2019
CLOSING DATE: April 24, 2019
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Public Works Department (DPW)|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||40 hours per week. 7:00am – 3:00pm. Some evening and early morning hours as needed|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Solid Waste Division at the Cambridge Department of Public Works provides trash, recycling, compost, and street cleaning services, working to improve the cleanliness of the city and to promote a decrease in trash disposal. The Division manages weekly curbside pickup of residential single-stream recycling, trash, and compost; yard waste collection for nine months each year, seasonal Christmas tree collection, collection of large appliances, and household hazardous waste collections. The City is also in the process of implementing new collection programs, including commercial recycling collection, residential mattress recycling and textile recycling.
Under the supervision of the Environmental Services Manager, the Compliance Officer will help advance the City's solid waste management and reduction goals through a combination of enforcement and outreach.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Communicate with residents and business owners regarding violation notices, recycling collection requirements and related questions regarding solid waste, recycling, and composting.
- Engage with residents and business owners to increase recycling and composting.
- Enforce Refuse & Litter Ordinance, Mandatory Recycling Ordinance, Bring Your Own Bag Ordinance, Polystyrene Ordinance and future ordinances related to the Solid Waste Division.
- Inspect and issue warnings and citations for solid waste, recycling, composting, and yard waste violations.
- Assist in monitoring collection routes for compliance issues, recycling issues, and composting participation.
- Enforce and investigate improperly prepared recycling as necessary.
- Remove abandoned or misused receptacles. Assemble, deliver, and remove receptacles as needed.
- Develop and evaluate the City's Commercial Recycling Rules & Regulations.
- Assist in managing the Small Business Recycling Pilot program.
- Evaluate, recommend and implement options for collection of commercial solid waste data.
- Drive a pickup truck or van regularly.
- Perform office tasks (customer service via phone, in-person, email, mailings, data entry, etc).
- Perform other duties as required.
High School Diploma/GED and at least 5 years relevant work experience OR Bachelor's degree in related field and at least 3 years of relevant work experience.
Past experience working in enforcement or compliance strongly preferred. Experience working in the solid waste industry and/ or municipal sector preferred.
A current and valid Massachusetts Driver's License Class D is required.
Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills. Quick learner with excellent organization skills.
Highly motivated, reliable and flexible. Ability to access, input and retrieve information from a computer. Ability to answer phones and maintain multiple files. Experience in Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc) is required.
Must be able to lift between 25 and 50 pounds. Ability to assemble large trash, recycling, and composting bins. Ability to lift these bins into a vehicle for delivery or removal. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Duties are performed in an office environment with fluorescent lighting, with the potential for frequent interruptions. Moderate noise level. Operates a pickup truck or van regularly.
RATE: $63,615 - $72,185/year + excellent benefits
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest by 5pm on the closing date via email to: email@example.com or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.