NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: April 22, 2019
RESUMES AND LETTERS OF INTEREST REQUESTED BY: 05/20/19 POSITON WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Human Service Programs|
||Advisor and ABE Teacher, Community Learning Center|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||37.5 hrs/week, including Tuesday and Thursday evenings|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Community Learning Center (CLC) empowers a diverse community of adult learners to transform their lives and realize their potential through education, skills development, and community participation. Students are predominantly low-income Cambridge residents; come from a variety of ethnic, linguistic and racial backgrounds; and are currently enrolled in English or Adult Basic Education or training. The Advisor and ABE Teacher is responsible for working with CLC students to support them in achieving their educational and career goals through educational advising and job search/placement assistance and possesses knowledge of K-8 math, language arts, social studies, and science content. The ideal candidate is committed to supporting and creating a community that actively promotes equity and inclusion.
Education and Career Advising
- Conduct monthly orientations, administer standardized assessments (e.g., TABE, MAPT), make initial student placement, and conduct intakes
- Advise ABE students to help them address and remove barriers to persistence in class
- Make appropriate referrals to agencies/programs for additional assistance when necessary
- Provide career advising and job placement assistance to CLC students, including assistance with resumes and cover letters and support in applying for jobs
ABE Teacher, Generalist
- Teach basic math to a diverse group of students at a K-3.9 GLE, employing multimodal means of instruction and using manipulatives as appropriate
- Cover a range of topics, ensuring alignment with the College and Career Readiness Standards
- Have the flexibility to teach language arts and math at a variety of levels
- With outreach staff, promote CLC programming and offerings around Cambridge through a variety of means including delivering presentations, distributing flyers, and maintaining a digital presence
- Build and maintain relationships with individuals and organizations within the community
ABE Volunteer Coordination
- Match volunteers with students or determine placement as classroom aides
- Provide pre-service training and ongoing support to volunteers, and maintain regular communication with volunteers and teachers
- Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent experience
- Experience advising a diverse adult population
- 3 years of teaching experience
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently
- Excellent organizational and technology skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Master's degree
- Experience with racial equity work
- Certification in TABE-L and MAPT administration
- Familiarity with Cambridge community and municipal organizations
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: There is extensive computer use. Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Ability to answer telephones and maintain multiple files. Ability to lift and carry up to five pounds of books and papers. Job requires evening work. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: General office environment with fluorescent lighting
RATE: $26.29-$29.82 per hour (anticipated COLA beginning July 1st); this is an 11-month appointment with salary pro-rated over 12 months with excellent benefits
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: email@example.com or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resumes and letters of interest requested by 05/20/19. Applicants may also apply directly through schoolspring.com and apply for job code ID # 3085980 or go to https://www.schoolspring.com/job.cfm?jid=3085980 Position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.