NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: August 7, 2019
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
|Civil Service Position:
||Subject to Civil Service rules and regulations|
||Teamsters, Local 25 |
|Hours Per Week:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under supervision of the Electrician Coordinator, performs the duties of a Licensed Electrician as required by the Mass. Electrical Board of Electricians. Supervises and instructs an Electrician's Helper and/or Trainee, when assigned. Installs and maintains various types of electrical systems and maintains all electrical systems and equipment owned by the City of Cambridge. Specifically, duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Installs, tests, repairs and maintains electrical circuits, wiring systems, fixtures, appliances, poles and equipment.
- Trouble shoots and repairs faulty electrical wiring, defective electrical equipment and machinery such as motors, generators, transformers, switches, sockets, etc.
- Inspects and tests circuits and fixtures to locate broken wires, loose connections, blown fuses, faulty switches, grounds, shorts, and other defects.
- Installs and maintains the municipal fire alarm system, building fire alarm systems and security systems.
- Installs and maintains various communications and data network systems.
- Maintains the City's street and park lighting, including installation and maintenance of underground conduits, wiring, bases, poles and fixtures.
- Maintains traffic signals, including emergency repairs and ordinary maintenance.
- Installs and maintains fiber cable in underground conduits and on overhead poles.
HS Diploma or equivalency. A current and valid Massachusetts Journeyman's Electrician's License. A current and valid Massachusetts Commercial Driver's License Class B, or the ability to obtain one upon hire. Valid Massachusetts Hoisting Engineer License 1B or the ability to obtain licensing within six months. Certification in OSHA 10 Step Safety and Health Training Course, or the ability to obtain certification within six months. The ability to work at heights in excess of 50 feet from an aerial bucket truck.
Desirable Requirements: Experience with fiber cabling and splicing, traffic signal controller operation, fire alarm, security and traffic signal systems, street light installations. Knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
- Competitive Health, Dental and Vision benefits
- Vacation and Sick Leave eligible
- Sick Incentive Pay eligible
- 3 Personal Days
- 13 Paid Holidays
- Clothing Allowance, $1000 per year
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT: Inside and outside work, confined space entry, ability to climb poles, ladders, staging and operate and work from a bucket truck or personnel lift. Will be required to drive, walk, bend, squat, reach, stretch; and lift over 50 lbs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
RATE: $25.56 - $35.22 per hour plus excellent benefits
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312 Position will remain open until filled. Review of resumes begins immediately.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.