NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: May 14, 2019
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Human Service Programs|
||Community School Program Assistants|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||19.5 hrs/week; some evenings and weekend hours|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Cambridge Community Schools are seeking dynamic leaders who are organized, talented in curriculum delivery, and have strong effective communication skills. Reports to the Community School Director.
- Assists with the supervision of PT staff and management of the Program in the absence of the CS Director.
- Work with the Community School Director to plan, design, organize, implement and manage age-appropriate activities for program participants.
- Management of daily program operations including creating and implementing program schedule, taking daily attendance, assisting with snack prep, and class transitions.
- Directly supervise the safety of children.
- Adhere to Best Practices as outlined by the Community Schools Division.
- Implementation of policies and procedures at the program site.
- Help create an environment that fosters a positive self-image and respects the social and cultural differences of each child and values each child's strengths, needs, differences, and similarities.
- Assist and participate with scheduled staff meetings, professional development training, and quality improvement.
- Assist with classroom maintenance, inventory, and ordering of supplies.
- Reports any accidents or incidents to Community School Director and completes required reports.
- Be involved with the children as a caring and respectful adult. Facilitate their play, respond with sensitivity to their needs, foster positive behaviors, and classroom management.
- Assist and participate in offsite activities, events, and field trips.
- In absence of CS Director, monitors voicemails, returns phone calls.
- Other duties as assigned by the CS Director.
At least 3 years' experience working with elementary school age children. Experience working with special needs desirable and should have a strong interest in working with children from diverse cultural & economic backgrounds. Strong writing and oral skills, computer skills.
The noise level in work environment is moderate to very loud. The work environment includes classroom, outdoor playgrounds, and occasional field trips.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, walk, and occasionally required to run during physical activities or responding to an emergency. Employees are often required to engage with children on the floor and at their eye level. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
RATE: $19.00-$23.00 per hour (rate depends upon experience)
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.