NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: January 7, 2020
POSITION IS CONSIDERED OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Emergency Communications Department|
||Manager of Public Safety Technical Support|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||37.50 hours per week. Includes after hours availability for meetings and special projects, and on call responsibility.|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Working at the direction of the Assistant Director of PSIT (Public Safety Information Technology), and Director of Emergency Communications (EC) and 911 the incumbent is responsible for overseeing a team of Technical Support Specialists supporting information technology for all public safety users. Primary supervisory responsibilities include direct report motivation, coaching, creation of individual development plans, and accountability for the ongoing success of projects and the service lifecycle. This is a hands-on manager position. This position will work closely with the Cambridge Police, Fire and Emergency Communications departments using judgment in identifying issues, analyzing proposed solutions, and developing recommendations which support management decisions, the City's mission, and the best interest of end users.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Ensure full operation of PSIT Help Desk as well as management of related projects using project management best practices.
- Ensure vendor contracts and statements of work include appropriate SLAs and have adequate language to protect the interests of the Police, Fire, and Emergency Communications Departments.
- Ensure best practices are employed for information technology service management (ITSM) to areas of responsibility.
- Work with direct reports to develop individual develop plans (IDPs) and ensures goals are in line with the needs of PSIT.
- Work closely with Assistant Director of PSIT to engage clients (end users) for feedback on current and future service needs.
- Coordinate and facilitate communication with various City offices, as well as vendors.
- Identify risk areas with mitigation strategies, advising courses of action to minimize impact, and increase likelihood of project and service success.
- Recommend opportunities for improvements that will enhance the City's approach to project execution and optimizing resources (both financial and personnel).
- Work with the Assistant Director of PSIT and the Systems Administrators to develop security policies, procedures and technical controls.
- Responsible for troubleshooting and resolving system problems.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities, as assigned, which may include system administration related tasks
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience performing IT Help Desk management duties in a mid-size organization.
- ITIL and ITSM certifications desirable.
- Technical certifications highly desirable: A+ (CompTIA), HDI-CSR, SCM - ITIL Foundation (ITIL) - Microsoft 365 Certified, Modern Desktop Administrator.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and understanding of Information Technology Service Management (ITSM) and project management best practices.
- Demonstrate proficiency in organizational operations management.
- Ability to lead and work as part of a diverse and highly technical team and build collaborative relationships within and across teams.
- Ability to consistently demonstrate sound ethics and judgment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with end users, contractors, vendors, and City staff to facilitate the successful completion of representative duties and other assigned tasks.
- Knowledge and experience working with various technologies including, but not limited to:
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Microsoft Active Directory
- Audio Visual Support
- Email and collaboration systems
- Physical Access Security Systems
- Telecom Support
- Knowledge and experience with information technology security and regulatory compliance.
- Knowledge and experience supporting: Desktop Hardware, Server hardware, software applications, and networks.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT: Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Answer telephones and maintain multiple files. Must read and analyze large quantities of information. Must have sufficient mobility to get back and forth from office to off-site meetings. Work is conducted primarily in an office environment with fluorescent lighting, air conditioning, computers and other standard office equipment, but also involves meetings in other offices or facilities Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
RATE: $101,260 - $112,061 + excellent benefits
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.