NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: February 12, 2020
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Human Service Programs|
||Group Leader - Pre-Teen (part-time), Division of Youth Programs|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||19.5 hours per week. Monday-Friday between 2 P.M - 6 P.M.|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Group Leader position is directly responsible, in partnership with Lead Youth Workers and Program Director, for a small cohort of Preteen/Middle School members between the ages of 9-13, including: team building, curricular development, behavior management, improving performance and maintaining culture consistent with Cambridge Youth Program's values. The Group Leader will work with the Lead Youth Worker, Program Director and Youth Center Director to lead a diverse group of pre-teens through programmed activities, service projects, civic engagement, and leadership development. The overall goals for the Group Leader are to provide direct supervision, mentorship and support to their cohort (small group) and families through-out their engagement at our centers. Specifically, the Group Leader will:
- Manage cohort activities and behaviors during center activities inside and outside of building
- Support Youth Workers daily activities
- Assist the Lead Youth Workers and Program Director to oversee the implementation of policies and procedures at the Youth Center as they relate to youth members in our programs.
- Inform the Program Director of specific Youth Center member needs or concerns that are brought to their attention.
- Plan, design, organize, and implement age appropriate Youth Center programs and activities for cohort and program, for Pre-Teens between the ages of 9-13.
- Provide a safe, structured and stimulating environment for Youth Center members and volunteers.
- Attend and participate fully in staff meetings, planning sessions, other meetings, staff development and training programs and activities as directed. Group Leaders will conduct regular cohort meetings.
- Be a positive role model to and develop meaningful relationships with Youth Center members.
Two years' experience working with youth in an academic, recreational or athletic setting. HS Diploma/GED required; some post-secondary preferred. Familiarity with Cambridge neighborhoods preferred.
- Group management skill and facilitation skills
- Conflict resolution and an understanding of restorative justice
- Understanding of positive youth development
- Effective communication skills with youth and adults
- Interest and ability to engage and support families
- Ability to create and support curricular/activity design and implementation
Main work environment is busy Youth Center. The noise level can be very loud. Youth Centers include classroom like settings, open environments and gymnasium.
Must be able to lift fifty pounds and participate in activities that require physical exertion. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
RATE: $18.00 per hour
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: email@example.com or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.