NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: February 24, 2020
RESUME AND LETTER OF INTEREST REQUESTED BY: 03/16/20 POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Community Development Department|
||Transportation Planning Intern|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||up to 10 hours/week; Start Date & Duration: As soon as possible with minimum commitment preferably through the spring of 2021. Preferably the intern’s hours will be spread evenly but there may be some flexibility in scheduling.|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Environmental and Transportation Planning division of the City of Cambridge's Community Development Department is responsible for improving quality of life by working to protect and improve the environment, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and by planning a sustainable transportation system.
The Community Development Department seeks an intern with an interest in sustainable transportation, Complete Streets and outreach. This intern will report to a senior Transportation Planner in the Community Development Department and support the following work:
- Support Bicycle and Pedestrian program efforts as needed including the Bicycle Plan Update and weekly reports
- Support the Traffic Calming program as needed, including administering evaluations of projects
- Outreach for infrastructure design projects
- Conducting web site updates
- Graphics and analysis as needed
Examples of tasks include but are not limited to the following:
- Meeting logistics (confirming locations, assisting in meeting preparation)
- Field work (observations, counts and distributing public meeting information to businesses and residents, carrying out intercept surveys)
- Analysis (online research, bicycle and pedestrian counts, demographic data analysis),
- Design (graphics outreach materials, mock-ups of designs being discussed internally)
The internship provides ample opportunities for exposure to internal planning meetings as well as attending and supporting working group and public meetings.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Interest and experience in sustainable transportation planning
- Excellent writing skills and comfort with public communications
- Exceptional attention to detail and creativity
- Ability to remain flexible and thrive in an independent, fast paced and dynamic environment. Good time management skills.
- Ability to organize and present transportation data in Excel.
- Ability to do basic manipulation of flyer formats in In Design and to use a similar or simpler design program (even PPT) to display and communicate concepts internally.
- Computer skills: Proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required, proficiency in SketchUp, Photoshop, and/or ArcGIS are desirable.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Standard office environment. Fluorescent lighting and air conditioning. Moderate noise level.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Answer telephones and maintain multiple files. May require minimal lifting of up to 10 pounds. Work involves travel to and through the City to project locations. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest describing your interest in sustainable transportation and particularly public transit; external applicants submit your resume and letter of interest describing your interest in sustainable transportation and particularly public transit via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Department, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Please specify your available start dates in your cover letter. Resume and letter of interest requested by 3/16/20. Position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.