NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: June 23, 2020
CLOSING DATE: July 23, 2020
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Public Works Department (DPW)|
||Construction Utilities Inspector|
|Civil Service Position:
||Subject to Civil Service rules and regulations|
||PWS, Teamsters Local 25 |
|Hours Per Week:
||40 Hours per week, normal shift: 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. May be called upon to work during emergencies and may be required to work 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. shift during slow construction season.|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the general supervision of the Superintendent of Streets and Sewer, the Construction Utilities Inspector will:
- review public utility excavations and obstructions in conjunction with permit applications
- coordinate permits.
- schedule and conduct inspections to ensure compliance with City standards & MUTCD.
- document work through as-built drawings and daily inspection logs.
- schedule appropriate testing as necessary to assure compliance with permit requirements.
- coordinate meetings or tasks with Public Works, other City staff and utility companies.
- assist in records research and inspection reports.
- assist with planning and inspection of other Public Works sewer, street and sidewalk, water department contracts, and excavations.
- assist in management & oversight of City paving contracts.
- manage salting & snow operations as needed.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Minimum of 2-year degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited program or equivalent work experience. Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, with practical experience with Microsoft Word and Excel. Must have thorough knowledge of proper pipe connection methods, backfill and compaction techniques, asphalt and concrete installation, and appropriate testing for conformance. Must have working knowledge of the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD); engineering standards for collection system construction and repair; excavation materials, compaction, testing, roadway repair; and general working knowledge of construction and inspection techniques to include record keeping and report writing.
Exposure to all weather conditions. Some occasional lifting, pulling, pushing, squatting, and reaching.
Generally, office work environment coupled with frequent site inspections in all weather conditions.
LICENSE(S) OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Current and valid Massachusetts Drivers License Class D. Successful completion and certification in Construction Methods Training Course sponsored by Public Works within one year of hire.
RATE: $33.73 - $42.81 per hour (rate is effective 7/1/2020)
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139 on or before the closing date. Fax 617-349-4312.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.