NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: July 23, 2020
CLOSING DATE: August 13, 2020
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Community Development Department|
||Administrative Assistant - Reception|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||37.5 hours/week; Mon. 8:30am-8:00pm, Tue- Thur., 8:30am-5:00pm, Fri. 8:30am-12:00pm|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to CDD's Executive Assistant, the selected candidate will provide reception and administrative support for the Community Development Department. Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Serves as initial point of contact for people contacting or visiting the department. Welcomes and assists individuals meeting with department staff in a professional manner.
- Delivers exceptional and engaging customer service to the public and City staff who visit the office.
- Answers high volume of phone calls in a professional manner; directs inquiries to appropriate departmental personnel or agencies. Schedule in-person appointments for meetings with department staff.
- Develops knowledge of Community Development Department programs and services and uses this knowledge to assist the public and other City employees.
- May assist customers with various applications for CDD divisions, including greeting applicants, explaining the process, and tracking/relaying inquiries and applications to CDD staff.
- Reviews online inquiries received from the public and directs to the appropriate division for response.
- Assists staff with word processing, preparing spreadsheets, data entry, copying, and scanning, as assigned by the Executive Assistant. May type general interoffice and outgoing correspondence.
- Maintains orderliness and neatness in the reception area. May receive, record and distribute daily mail as necessary
- May assist divisions in coordinating and delivering outreach and promotion efforts to inform residents and community groups about CDD events, including bulk mailings and assembling materials.
- Performs other related duties as may be required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- One to two years of experience in an administrative professional role; 2-3 years preferred.
- High school diploma or equivalent required. An Associate degree or coursework beyond the high school level is desirable.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse range of people including residents, business owners, City staff and other visitors; bilingual skills a plus.
- Ability to handle the unexpected, stay calm under pressure, and respond to customers in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions accurately and thoroughly.
- Ability to work with limited supervision and accurately perform assigned duties in a timely and professional manner. Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Direct experience with computer applications, including proficiency in Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, and Excel. The City may require that the successful candidate take and pass a computer skills proficiency test in Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel at hire or within 12 months of hire.
- Must be comfortable with changing workflow or processes, adept at adopting new technology, and committed to continuously improving efficiency and effectiveness of department.
The Community Development Department (CDD) is the planning agency for the City of Cambridge. Encompassing the Housing, Economic Development, Community Planning, Environmental & Transportation Planning, and Zoning & Development divisions, CDD's mission is to foster a livable, sustainable, and equitable community. CDD engages and collaborates with community partners, other government agencies, and residents to make Cambridge a desirable place to live, work, learn, play, and innovate.
Ability to access, input and retrieve information from a computer. Ability to answer phones and operate office equipment including copiers, printers, fax, and scanners. Ability to execute tasks involving keyboarding, telephones, writing, bending, reaching, and lifting (up to 10 lbs).
Standard office environment characterized by multiple work demands and a significant amount of customer interaction. Fluorescent lighting, carpeted floor, and air conditioning. Moderate noise level with active phone calls and walk-in applicants.
RATE: $22.27 – 31.11 per hour + excellent benefits
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit your resume and letter of interest by 5pm of the closing date via email to: email@example.com or to Personnel Department, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Please specify your available start date in your cover letter.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.