NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: August 14, 2020
Open Until Filled
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Human Service Programs|
||ESOL Teachers for Adult Education Classes (ESOL Literacy through Intermediate ESOL), Part-Time, Community Learning Center (CLC)|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||5 to 19.5 hours per week, evening and day hours. The classes we are hiring for are 6:15pm- 9:15pm and 9am-12pm. Paid preparation time: 4 hours of preparation time for 6 hours of teaching.|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
We are looking for ESOL Teachers who will:
- Dynamically teach ESOL classes to adult learners, whether in person, hybrid, or online, depending on current conditions
- Provide scaffolded, explicit instruction, practice, and assessment in reading, writing, speaking, and listening to help students achieve college, career, and personal goals
- Work as a team with other teachers and staff to develop materials, lessons, and share best practices
- Engage in ongoing professional development to continually improve our services
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of one year of experience teaching ESOL, preferably to adults in a community-based setting
- Knowledge of methods and materials used in ESOL instruction, including of remote instruction
- Sensitivity to the needs of the adult learner population
- A commitment to racial equity and a desire to understand and interrupt systemic racism and other forms of oppression
- A passion for collaboration, problem-solving, and learning new things
- BEST Plus and/or TABE CLAS-E certification highly desirable
- Background in special education, teaching reading, or distance learning is a plus!
General office and classroom environment with air conditioning and fluorescent lighting.
Job requires some computer use. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
RATE: $29.04 per hour
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: email@example.com or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Review of resumes begins immediately. Position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.