NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: August 20, 2020
CLOSING DATE: September 21, 2020
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Inspectional Services Department|
|Civil Service Position:
||Subject to Civil Service rules and regulations|
||Area Trades Council |
|Hours Per Week:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Inspectional Services Department is responsible for implementation of the Short-Term Rental (STR) regulations in the City of Cambridge Zoning Ordinance. Under the supervision of the Commissioner/Inspectional Services and Assistant Commissioner/Inspectional Services, the specific duties of the position include but are not limited to the following:
- Process online applications for registration of short-term rental units
- Conduct site visits required for determining compliance with registration requirements or investigating complaints
- Research potential violations of the City of Cambridge Short-Term Rental Zoning Ordinance by conducting online internet searches for potential operators
- Initiate enforcement action against violating properties and follow up with on-going enforcement action as determined by supervisor
- Monitor and process data provided by external agencies regarding short-term rental properties and activity; communicate with external agencies or hosting platforms as necessary
- Respond to inquiries about the short-term rental ordinance, help residents complete the short-term rental online application
- Respond to complaints of short-term rental use
- Organize and maintain all records pertaining to the short-term rental; maintain accurate and detailed logs of research and violating properties; prepare files for legal proceedings
- Assist members of the public with obtaining information from all files including building, electrical, housing, plumbing, sanitary, and zoning
- Respond to complaints received by the department, including but not limited to City of Cambridge Municipal Ordinance violations or building/housing/zoning related violations
- Monitor and coordinate general permitting processes in the department
- Perform other regulatory compliance duties as directed
- May be required to attend and testify at legal proceedings
- Performs related duties as required
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Minimum three (3) years' full-time work experience in the fields of communications, law enforcement, or building/sanitary codes (or equivalent part-time experience); Bachelor's degree preferred, or equivalent combination of education, training and related work experience
- Ability to understand and implement the Short-Term Rental Zoning Ordinance and other Codes
- Ability to read and comprehend building plans
- Ability to conduct research and investigation both online and in city property files, familiarity with short-term rental online hosting platforms and industry trends
- Ability to learn new regulations, new technologies and systems, new software
- Ability to set priorities and to work independently and efficiently to manage individual responsibilities
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities and tasks simultaneously, and interactions in a fast-paced office environment while remaining attentive to accuracy of work
- Superior customer service skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, excellent organizational and time management skills; strong computer skills including demonstrated proficiency with essential software (Microsoft Office Suite, Zoom)
- Ability to communicate with a diverse range of Department staff, other City employees, and members of the public in a courteous and professional manner
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office environment with air-conditioning and fluorescent lighting, combined with field visits requiring traveling throughout the City. Exposure to all weather conditions and noise when making site visits to various projects and activities. Field visits will require personal means of transportation. Some occasional lifting, pulling, pushing, squatting and reaching. Ability to access, input and retrieve information from a computer.
RATE: $24.88-$33.51 per hour + excellent benefits
Internal applicants, submit job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants, submit both your resume and letter of interest by 8 pm on the closing date via email to email@example.com or to the Personnel Department, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139. Fax (617) 349-4312.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.