NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: August 20, 2020
CLOSING DATE: September 21, 2020
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Inspectional Services Department|
||Zoning and Building Associate|
|Civil Service Position:
||Subject to Civil Service rules and regulations|
||Area Trades Council |
|Hours Per Week:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Inspectional Services Department is responsible for implementation of the State Building Code and City of Cambridge Zoning Ordinance. Under the general supervision of the Commissioner/Inspectional Services and Assistant Commissioner/Inspectional Services, the selected candidate should be a self-motivated, detail-oriented professional who will provide building-related services to Cambridge residents and assist the department's mission to implement zoning and building codes. Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Respond to public inquiries about the Cambridge Zoning Ordinance and explain the zoning ordinance to residents and design professionals
- Review building plans and permit applications for conformance with the Cambridge Zoning Ordinance
- Assist with the processing of building permit applications as assigned by supervisor
- Conduct regular field investigation and measurements to assess conformance of construction projects with approved plans and the Cambridge Zoning Ordinance
- Answer questions from the public regarding permitting processes
- Compile, report and analyze data on existing and pending permits
- Research property history and code history as assigned by supervisor
- Investigate and respond to complaints related to Cambridge Zoning Ordinance compliance
- Assist with the creation of instructive materials for regulations, ordinances and business processes under the department's purview
- Assist with general public counter and record room inquiries
- Organize departmental digital and paper files and archives as needed
- Assist with special projects in the department and other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Attend occasional evening meetings
- Performs related duties as required
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Bachelor's degree in architecture, urban planning, legal studies or related field, or equivalent combination of education, training and experience, and at least 2 years related work experience, preferably with a municipal zoning entity
- Experience with the interpretation and application of zoning laws, zoning overlay districts and an understanding of current municipal issues and trends
- Ability to read and comprehend building plans and property site plans
- Superior customer service skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, excellent organizational and time management skills; strong computer skills including demonstrated proficiency with essential software (Microsoft Office Suite, Zoom, Adobe InDesign)
- Ability to communicate with a diverse range of Department staff, other City employees, and members of the public in a courteous and professional manner
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple responsibilities, tasks, and interactions while remaining organized in a fast-paced office environment
- Ability to learn new regulations, new technologies and systems, new software
- Ability to set priorities and to work independently and efficiently to manage individual responsibilities, as well as work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities, tasks, and interactions in a fast-paced office environment while remaining attentive to accuracy of work
- Knowledge of City of Cambridge Zoning Ordinance
- Experience with permitting software (Energov and Viewpoint)
- Experience with property research, data aggregation and analysis, including related software (Python, ArcGIS, QGIS)
- Knowledge of the Cambridge community
- Proficiency in Mandarin, Portuguese, or Spanish
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: Standard office environment. Fluorescent lighting, carpeted floors and air conditioning. Occasional field inspections will require exposure to all weather conditions. Some occasional lifting, pulling, pushing, squatting and reaching.
RATE: $29.56-$36.76 per hour + excellent benefits
Internal applicants, submit job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants, submit both your resume and letter of interest by 8pm on the closing date via email to: email@example.com or to the Personnel Department, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139. Fax (617) 349-4312.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.