NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: September 10, 2020
CLOSING DATE: October 1, 2020
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Traffic, Parking and Transportation Department|
||Parking Violation Cashier|
|Civil Service Position:
||Subject to Civil Service rules and regulations|
||Teamster Local 25 |
|Hours Per Week:
||37.5 hours per week; 8:30 AM to 8:00 PM Monday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM Tuesday-Thursday, 8:30 AM to 12:00PM Friday, With flexibility to work additional hours as needed|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Core responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist customers inquiring about, paying and/or disputing parking tickets.
- Answer high volume of phone calls regarding permitting, parking services, engineering, and the adjudication process.
- Assist customers with the various permit application processes in person and over the phone in a professional manner.
- Reviews permit and dispute applications submitted online and in person for completeness and accuracy.
- Approve or deny permit applications and requests based upon City regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Process a variety of permits, including those accessed by residents using the City's online web application.
- Collect permit fees and parking ticket payments in cash, check, and credit cards.
- Balance daily receipts collected for permit fees with financial reports.
- Assist in sorting mail, researching records, and printing reports as required.
- Enter data in, and retrieve data from, various databases and vendor-maintained systems, including the Registry of Motor Vehicles.
- Record and maintain accurate records of all transactions.
- Advise the general public of their right to a hearing under Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 90 § 20A½ and § 20E.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of standard office procedures. The ability to work with limited direct supervision and accurately perform assigned duties in a timely and professional manner. Must be able to communicate effectively with a diverse range of people including citizens, staff, and other City Department personnel. Must be able to handle pressures of contact with the general public, respond to customers in a courteous and professional manner, and maintain confidential information. One to two years' experience with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and data systems required. The City may require that candidates take and pass a computer skills proficiency test in Microsoft Outlook, Word, and/or Excel at the time of hire. Experience using municipal government parking ticket and parking permit databases preferred. High school education or equivalent required; Associate degree preferred. Must show a high degree of self-motivation. Experience in an office environment with comparable skills desirable.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to the Assistant Parking Services Manager for Operations
OVERVIEW: Position is responsible for performing cashier duties within the Parking Services unit of the Traffic, Parking, and Transportation Department. This includes issuing residential parking permits and collecting payments for parking. Work includes daily contact and interaction with the general public.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Ability to operate office equipment including copiers, printers, scanners, fax, base radios, paper and electronic file system. Executes multiple tasks involving keyboarding, telephones, writing, bending, reaching, and lifting up to 15 lbs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Standard office environment with fluorescent lighting, carpeted floors, air-conditioning. The noise level in the work environment is moderately loud, which can elevate with phone calls and walk in members of the public. Busy office work environment characterized by multiple work demands.
RATE: $20.40-$28.98/hour + excellent benefits
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest by 5pm on the closing date via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.