NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: February 24, 2021
RESUME REQUESTED BY: 03/24/21POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Public Works Department (DPW)|
||Water-By-Bike Tree Ambassador Interns (8 Positions, Seasonal)|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||37.50 hours/week; 10-12 weeks, typically May through August.|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The position reports to the DPW City Arborist and works closely with the Landscape Administrator for the DPW. Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Inspect, water, and maintain selected young trees throughout the City.
- Ride a bike with trailer attached loaded with equipment and connect equipment to fire hydrants in order to water trees and fill ‘Gator Bags' with water. Weed existing tree wells.
- Record watering progress with mapping program on tablet.
- Interact with residents and businesses and promote urban tree care and benefits.
- Responsibly represent the Cambridge Department of Public Works - Parks and Forestry Division.
- The City of Cambridge's workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies.
- Perform related tasks as needed.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
A demonstrated interest in environmental stewardship and appreciation for trees in urban settings. Undergraduate coursework in Horticulture, Forestry, Environmental Studies, or related field is preferred. Ability to work independently. Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Must be comfortable riding a bicycle in urban environment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: Moderate physical activity including lifting, bending, squatting, stretching, pushing, dragging, reaching, and pulling. Exposure to all weather conditions. Work outside for extended periods of time. Ride a bike for several miles a day. Pre-employment Physical Examination may be required.
RATE: $16.65/hour (3/1/21 RATE)
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and letter of interest requested by 3/24/2021. Position will remain open until filled.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. THE CITY IS COMMITTED TO ADVANCING A WORKFORCE CULTURE OF ANTIRACISM, DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.