NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: March 3, 2021
RESUME AND LETTER OF INTEREST REQUESTED BY: 04/05/2021 POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Public Works Department (DPW)|
||Operations Assistant/Solid Waste|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||37.5 hours per week|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
DPW's Solid Waste Division provides trash, recycling, and street cleaning services, working to improve the cleanliness of the City and to promote a decrease in trash disposal and an increase in recycling. The Division manages weekly curbside collection of recycling and trash, yard waste collection for nine months a year, a curbside compost program, seasonal Christmas tree collection, mattress collection, collection of large appliances, household hazardous waste collections, public area trash and recycling bins, and a drop-off Recycling Center.
Through all of these programs, the City is working toward the goals of reducing residential trash 80% by 2050 from a 2008 baseline. The City completed a Zero Waste Master Plan in Fall 2018 to help identify and prioritize future program needs. In April 2018, the City expanded curbside compost citywide. In April 2019, the City started a mattress recycling program. In November 2019, the City started a Small Business Recycle Program, serving 123 businesses with twice per week collection. There are a variety of other materials in the waste stream, such as furniture, electronics, and textiles that are likely to be the focus of future waste reduction efforts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the general supervision of the Environmental Services Manager, this individual will provide support to the overall Solid Waste Division which includes Rubbish, Recycling, Street Cleaning, and Off Hours services. Specifically, this individual will:
- Coordinate Division-wide operations such as answering phones, using the City's SeeClickFix system for handling day-to-day operations, and coordinating with waste collection & City staff;
- Manage all bill payments, requisitions, budgeting and procurement for the Street Cleaning, Sanitation, and Recycling Divisions;
- Schedule deliveries and swaps of all trash, recycling, and compost carts. Assist in delivering, assembling, and managing recycle and compost carts;
- Coordinate, process, and manage hauling with vendors for Recycle Center, household hazardous waste, and other waste collection programs;
- Assist in maximizing waste diversion at Cambridge Public Schools;
- Operate vehicle to conduct field work or deliver recycling or compost supplies;
- Manage all data pertaining to waste tonnage managed by the City;
- Outreach at community events as needed;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university or equivalent combination of education, training and experience;
- Minimum 1 year of professional work experience required. 3 years of professional work preferred. Experience should include administrative, operations, finance, or other related work;
- A current and valid Massachusetts Driver's License Class D required;
- Demonstrated computer literacy using Microsoft applications including Word and Excel;
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Superior customer service skills & excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to communicate with a diverse range of Department staff, other City employees, and members of the public in a courteous and professional manner;
- Excellent organizational, time management, and project management skills; ability to set priorities and to work independently and efficiently to manage multiple responsibilities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced office environment;
- Must be highly motivated, reliable, and professional in the workplace.
- The City of Cambridge's workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds and ideologies.
- Have a demonstrated understanding of the role that racial inequity plays in our society.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires the ability to do repetitive lifting from 15 to 50 pounds, moving heavier loads with a hand cart or in a recycling container, moving stacks of recycling carts, and shoveling snow. Requires the ability to lift 25 pounds over head. Requires the ability to perform proper bending, squatting, stretching, pushing, climbing, dragging, and pulling. Duties range from light physical to heavy tasks. Requires the ability to travel among various sites and City locations.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The employee must be able to work outdoors in any weather condition including rain, sleet, snow, and sunshine.
RATE: $22.82 - $31.89/hour (in 7 Steps) + excellent benefits
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to email@example.com or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and letter of interest requested by 04/05/21, position will remain open until filled.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. THE CITY IS COMMITTED TO ADVANCING A WORKFORCE CULTURE OF ANTIRACISM, DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.