NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: March 4, 2021
RESUME AND LETTER OF INTEREST REQUESTED BY: 03/24/2021 POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Community Development Department|
||Senior Inclusionary Rental Housing Manager|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||37.5 hours per week|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Community Development Department (CDD) is the planning agency for the City of Cambridge. Encompassing the Housing, Economic Development, Community Planning, Zoning and Development, and Environmental and Transportation Planning divisions, CDD's mission is to foster a livable, sustainable, just, and equitable community. CDD engages and collaborates with community partners, other government agencies, and residents to make Cambridge a desirable place to live, work, learn, play, and innovate. The Housing Division works to promote and maintain the socioeconomic diversity of the City by managing and implementing the City's efforts to meet the housing needs of low-, and moderate-, and middle-income residents, and develops initiatives to preserve and expand the City's stock of affordable housing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Director of Housing, the Inclusionary Housing Senior Manager will manage the City's Inclusionary Rental Housing and Middle-Income Rental Housing programs through which the City offers access to more than 850 affordable units at more than 40 properties. He or she will manage a program team of 4 full-time staff and be a senior member of a sixteen-person team in the fast-paced Housing Division. The Senior Inclusionary Rental Housing Manager will work with CDD staff to prepare for anticipated growth while managing the multiple demands of the current program. He or she will work closely with staff from several City departments to advance efforts to provide affordable housing to eligible households, and will interact regularly with housing applicants and tenants, private housing owners, developers and managers, housing case workers, housing advocates, and staff at the Cambridge Housing Authority and other housing authorities.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Managing, developing, implementing, and monitoring program policies, procedures, guidelines, controls, and workflow to ensure efficient operation of the rental program and work of the inclusionary rental housing team
- Actively managing 4 full-time program staff
- Ensuring consistency and timeliness of housing applicant eligibility reviews and income certification, and regular tenant eligibility recertifications in a high-volume environment
- Managing workflow and monitoring protocols to ensure accuracy of applicant and other data status in program management software;
- Supervising staff administration of several housing applicant lists
- Overseeing tenant selection for available rental units through monitoring work of staff with property managers
- Planning for initial occupancy of new units: approval of form leases, applicable fees, tenant screening, and selection criteria
- Drafting, developing, and promulgating rental housing regulations to establish program operations, coordinating public review
- Developing and maintaining relationship with residents, property managers, other City departments, housing, and service providers
- Ensuring regular communication with and coordination with participating property managers; implementing periodic training to support participating property managers
- Responding to concerns and complaints from participating residents, applicants, and property managers; working collaboratively with participants, property managers, and other City staff and agencies to respond appropriately
- Monitoring housing applicant and resident satisfaction through regular efforts to solicit, compile and assess participant feedback to improve programs and services
- Compiling and analyzing program data to assess outcomes relative to program goals
- Assisting with other City housing programs and special housing projects as needed
- Performing other duties as required
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Inclusionary Rental Housing Senior Manager should be self-motivated, detail-oriented, and ready to help CDD in efforts to provide income-eligible households access to affordable homes. The City of Cambridge's workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies.
- Master's degree in real estate, public administration, management, business or related field from a four-year college or university, and a minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in affordable housing or assisted housing management, with at least two (2) years' experience in a supervisory capacity. A Bachelor's degree in these fields of study with a minimum of 7 years of comparable professional experience would also be accepted
- Commitment to working in community that values diversity
- Ability to work well individually, as a member, and as a leader of successful teams, balance individual and team responsibility, encourage ideas and develop leadership in others
- Good judgement, and excellent organizational, written, and oral communication, and public speaking skills
- Superior interpersonal, customer service, organizational, and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple responsibilities, tasks, and interactions while remaining organized in a fast-paced office environment
- Experience with affordable housing programs, income and eligibility review, application management, and working with housing applicants and tenants
- Ability to research and evaluate information for use in program analysis and planning
- Ability to clearly relay complex program information and requirements to staff, program participants, property managers, and other housing and service providers
- Superior computer skills including demonstrated facility with Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Word, Excel) and familiarity with or ability to learn rental housing management software
- Flexibility to work nights and weekends for events (as needed)
- Experience with program outreach and marketing including use of web and social media
- Knowledge of the regional housing market and available affordable housing resources
- Knowledge of the Cambridge community
- Proficiency in Amharic, Haitian Creole, Portuguese, and/or Spanish
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Work requires ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Work involves frequent evening meetings, travelling throughout the city, driving, walking, and climbing stairs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work involved is primarily indoors in a professional office setting, public meetings to present program opportunities and application process, and visits to building sites, some of which may be under construction.
RATE: $94,288 – $111,225 + excellent benefits.
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Candidates selected for an interview will be asked to provide and discuss examples of past work demonstrating their understanding of the housing development process. Resume and letter of interest requested by 3/24/21. Position will remain open until filled.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. THE CITY IS COMMITTED TO ADVANCING A WORKFORCE CULTURE OF ANTIRACISM, DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.