NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: April 26, 2021
RESUME AND LETTER OF INTEREST REQUESTED BY: 05/25/21POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Assistant City Electrician|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||37.5 hours per week; must be available to work additional hours outside of normal workweek, on call responsibility|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the direction of the City Electrician, the Assistant City Electrician will supervise all departmental personnel including the Senior Electrical Manager, Electrician Coordinators, and Electricians. Specific duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Oversees utility work performed by private utilities for electric, communications, and video installations and equipment installed on or above the public ways in Cambridge.
- Issues utility permits and maintains records on a daily basis for all utility work for electric, communications, and video, including work performed by private contractors.
- Assists in the preparation and monitoring of capital and operating budgets, participates in strategic planning for the department.
- Oversees special projects at the direction of the City Electrician.
- Maintains records of all utility poles in Cambridge and works with utilities to properly maintain them.
- Purchases electrical and communication equipment for the department and others as needed.
- Supervises department personnel as required.
- Performs various electrical work as needed, including electrical maintenance, streetlight repair, maintains the municipal fire alarm system, fiber networks, interior fire alarms, and security systems.
- During the absence of the City Electrician, will assume full responsibility of the department.
- Manage PBX and Centrex telephone systems including billing, service, and repair.
- Performs other duties as required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Knowledge of Massachusetts State Electrical Code.
- Knowledge of Municipal signal systems, fiber cable networks, local network cabling and fire and security building systems.
- Knowledge of utility work for electric, communications, and video installation in or above the public way.
- Knowledge of Telephone systems including PBX and Centrex systems.
- A minimum of at least three years' experience supervising personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage the daily operation of the department.
- Knowledge of traffic management plans for work in the public way.
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions in the field related to streetlight repair and installations.
- Ability to operate a bucket truck, climb ladders, staging and use personnel lifts.
- Familiarity with Microsoft applications, particularly Excel and Word strongly preferred.
- The City of Cambridge's workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies.
LICENSE(S) OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Valid Massachusetts State Electrician License required.
- Valid Massachusetts Hoisting Class 1B desirable.
- Certification in OHSA 30 Step Safety and Health Training Course.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work involves lifting, stretching, walking, bending, squatting, and reaching. Work indoors in professional office areas. Work outdoors includes city roadways, parks, athletic fields, and construction sites in all types of weather. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
RATE: $91,802-$108,740 annually + excellent benefits
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Department, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and letter of interest requested by 05/25/21. Position will remain open until filled.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. THE CITY IS COMMITTED TO ADVANCING A WORKFORCE CULTURE OF ANTIRACISM, DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.