NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: April 28, 2021
RESUME AND LETTER OF INTEREST REQUESTED BY: 06/01/2021 POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Emergency Communications Department|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||37.50 hours per week. Includes after hours availability for meetings and special projects, and on call responsibility. Ability to work flexible schedule to accommodate maintenance windows during non-peak hours.|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Network Manager is responsible for the Information Security and Infrastructure Management for Public Safety IT (PSIT). It involves the following: network support, service management, incident management, outage reporting, configuration management, and change management, as they apply to the city's public safety system infrastructure. The incumbent is also responsible for making independent decisions within the context of representative duties and primary job focus and scope. Working at the direction of the Assistant Director of Public Safety Information Technology and/or Director of Emergency Communications Department (ECD) and 911, all supervisory positions are responsible for overseeing a team of one or more information technology professionals. Supervisors use judgment in identifying issues, analyzing proposed solutions, and developing recommendations which support management decisions, the City's mission, and the best interest of end users.
- Ensure best practices and security requirements are employed for the configuration of all network related technology and services under their supervision.
- Responsible for performing and overseeing network: design, implementation, operations, virtualization, and support services for on premise data centers and cloud.
- Ensure vendor contracts and statements of work include appropriate scope, SLAs, and have adequate language to protect the interests of the Police, Fire, and Emergency Communications Departments.
- Responsible for images, configurations, and firmware upgrades for all network devices.
- Participate in the planning, coordinating, and setup for special events, command posts, and significant emergencies within the City and with other regional cities and towns.
- Assist in management of various IT projects, grant projects, from proposal to implementation.
- Responsible for supervision that includes direct report motivation, coaching, creation of individual development plans, and accountability for the ongoing success of projects and the service lifecycle.
- Understand and adhere to City and PSIT standards, policies, and procedures.
- Ensure successful design, planning, and installation including network diagrams and monitoring.
- May perform additional duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training required. Master's in Computer Science preferred.
- At least five years of experience performing network administration duties in a mid to large organization.
- Experience setting up and supporting VPN Connectivity to Azure & ExpressRoute to Azure
- Familiar with Azure: VNET Peering, NSG administration, Load Balancer, App Gateway & Traffic Manager
- High Degree of proficiency implementing LAN/WAN with Juniper and Palo Alto switches routers.
- Experience with providing 7x24x365 Network Support.
- Technical certifications highly desirable: Juniper, Palo Alto, Azure
- Experience with LAN/WAN optimization and monitoring tools.
- Security certificates desirable: ISC2 CISSP, ISACA CISM and EC-Council CEH.
- ITIL and ITSM certifications highly desirable.
- Excellent Communication and Organizational Skills
- Self-Motivated, ability to work with minimal supervision.
- The City of Cambridge's workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and experience working with various technologies including, but not limited to:
- Hands on: switches (Juniper), routers, firewalls (Palo Alto), and load balancers.
- Network design, installation, management, and monitoring including wireless.
- Networking technologies and protocols, not limited to RADIUS authentication, disaster recovery planning, high availability design and implementation, QoS.
- Installation of network monitoring tools (WhatsUp Gold) and automated alert notifications.
- Microsoft-based LAN/WAN network services (DHCP, DNS, RADIUS, Active Directory)
- Data circuit sizing and procurement
- Microsoft 365 & Azure Virtualization & Cloud technologies
- Supporting VoIP (Avaya) & RoIP
- Contract negotiation and vendor management
- Familiar with current technology and industry trends
- Ability to select and apply industry standard best practices.
- Knowledge of PC and server hardware support, software applications, and data center design.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT: Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Must read and analyze large quantities of information. Must have sufficient mobility to get back and forth from office to off-site meetings. Work is conducted primarily in an office environment with fluorescent lighting, air conditioning, computers, and other standard office equipment, but also involves meetings in other offices or facilities.
RATE: $113,017 – 124,088 + Excellent Benefits
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and letter of interest requested by 06/01/2021. Position will remain open until filled.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. THE CITY IS COMMITTED TO ADVANCING A WORKFORCE CULTURE OF ANTIRACISM, DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.