NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: May 3, 2021
RESUME AND LETTER OF INTEREST REQUESTED BY 06/03/21POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Information Technology Department|
||Physical Security System Engineer|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||37.5 hours per week|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Working at the direction of the Security Manager, the Physical Security System Engineer is responsible for configuring, maintaining, and troubleshooting enterprise level access control, video systems, and network applications as they relate to physical security. The Individual will assist with the planning, organization, direction, and implementation of physical security application-related projects, upgrades, system migrations and commissioning. This includes, but is not limited to, systems management, monitoring, alerting, logging, service management, incident management, outage reporting, configuration management, change management, security management, and administration. Responsibilities include understanding, adhering and implementing City of Cambridge physical security policies, as well as School Department and Public Safety procedures, and customer service and end-user support. The Physical Security System Engineer uses judgment in identifying issues, analyzing proposed solutions, and developing and implementing recommendations which support management decisions, and the best interest of end users.
- Work closely with City, Public Safety and Cambridge Public School IT to develop service delivery, transition, and improvement goals, policies, and procedures.
- Conduct studies within and outside the organization to ensure compliance with industry building security standards, travel to various buildings in the Cambridge area to conduct surveys, and resolve issues.
- Maintain vendor relationships including providing input on vendor contracts and abilities, ensuring vendors are working to City expectations, and monitoring vendor activities.
- Monitor and maintain system health which includes: access control network, related application Servers, and databases.
- Test, program and troubleshoot access control and digital video systems.
- Follow assigned projects through to final adjustment and commissioning of installed systems.
- Customize system to tailor to customers' business model.
- Troubleshoot system/network related issues with customers and vendors.
- Ability to train City Users (customers) and technicians on respective systems.
- Document and maintain system architecture and parameters specific to City department needs.
- Must work in compliance with the City's Health and Safety standards and requirements; with the safety of self and others in mind at all time.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree in related field preferred. Three (3) to five (5) years of experience performing security system architecture, integration, operation, and management in an enterprise environment preferred.
- Technical certifications highly desirable, in particular: Genetec Security, Windows Server, Juniper Networks, VMware, Lenel, or any video management system, PMP, ISACA, or CISSP.
- Experience with IP camera devices, networks, recorders, and understanding of infrastructure impact of peripheral security equipment such as storage calculations and network QoS.
- Experience with electronic lockset, rex, low voltage power supplies, security panels, and associated access control hardware.
- The City of Cambridge's workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse.Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and experience working with various technologies including, but not limited to: Microsoft Windows Server, Genetec Security Center, Virtualization technologies, Intel Server setup and support and Security systems and services.
- Understanding of Data Center, LAN/WANs, Networking and Operating Systems.
- Strong trouble shooting and problem solving skills.
- Requires the ability to plan, design, and execute testing efforts.
- Must demonstrate business analysis and documentation skills
- Ability to demonstrate program and project management skills
- Ability to work as part of a diverse and highly technical team and build collaborative relationships across teams.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbal and written.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Answer telephones and maintain multiple files. Must read and analyze large quantities of information. Must have sufficient mobility to get back and forth from office to off-site meetings.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is conducted primarily in an office environment with fluorescent lighting, air conditioning, computers, and other standard office equipment, but also involves meetings in other offices or facilities.
RATE: $91,802 – $108,740 annually plus excellent benefits
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and letter of interest requested by 06/03/2021. Position will remain open until filled.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. THE CITY IS COMMITTED TO ADVANCING A WORKFORCE CULTURE OF ANTIRACISM, DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.