NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: January 3, 2022
RESUME AND COVER LETTER RQUESTED BY: 01/25/22. POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Payroll Coordinator, Office of Planning, Budget & Personnel|
|Civil Service Position:
||Subject to Civil Service rules and regulations|
||Teamsters Local 25 |
|Hours Per Week:
||37.5 hours per work week|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
In support of the Office of the Commissioner, this position will be working in the Office of Planning, Budget, and Personnel to assist in providing high quality and confidential management of the Department's human resources functions including payroll and personnel. The primary function of this position is to prepare and process the weekly payroll of the Department. The Payroll Coordinator will also perform payroll/personnel tasks relating to general understanding of civil service and non-civil service employment procedures. Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Perform various duties associated with the processing and preparation of the Police Department weekly and monthly payrolls for over 300 police employees of various classifications and co-ordinate distribution of paychecks. Collect and review department weekly timesheets for accuracy.
- Complete weekly and monthly Payroll Register and distribute weekly and monthly paychecks.
- Maintain accurate payroll records and calculations of standard and other work benefit hours such as: sick, personal, vacation, administrative and any other leave time adjustments, longevity, overtime and court-time pay hours, annual step increments, clothing/cleaning allowances, sworn education incentives, various stipends, prorated benefits, and other miscellaneous wage and compensation tasks. Perform monthly leave time reconciliations and prepare memoranda/reports documenting or adjusting use of leave/benefit time.
- Complete employment verifications.
- Prepare, process, and track various payroll and personnel transactions such as personnel transaction forms, new hires, step progressions, stipends, vacancy job/description forms, civil service forms, and other employment-related forms.
- Complete work-related injury documentation for Worker's Compensation processing, including requisitions and schedule of payments for medical bills, invoices, employee reimbursements and complete retiree reimbursements.
- Familiarize him/herself with relevant policies and procedures, including those found in the Employee Manual, Collective Bargaining Agreements, and Municlass Manual.
- Assist in maintaining files within the Office of Planning, Budget & Personnel including personnel, medical, benefits, payroll, and other materials.
- Assist employees with payroll matters and questions relating to benefits and available resources. Provide a high level of customer service to employees in person or over the phone regarding inquiries about human resources and other matters related to the Office of Planning, Budget & Personnel. Act as a liaison with other City Departments such as Payroll, Benefits, Auditing, and Finance.
- Assist in human resources-related and budget-related projects in support of the Office of Planning, Budget & Personnel
- Perform other administrative duties as assigned.
Excellent communication, organizational, analytical, and planning skills. Must have strong attention to detail and accuracy. Must have strong keyboarding skills; be proficient in PeopleSoft HR applications or similar database applications. Must be able to use Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel, to a high level including the use of formulas. Must be able to learn new systems. Three years of office work experience with preference in the area of preparation and maintenance of payroll and/or accounting. Experience with human resources/personnel work in a large organization is highly desired, as is experience in handling confidential and sensitive information. Demonstrated customer service experience. Must be able to deal with the diverse public in a professional and courteous manner. Good problem-solving techniques necessary. At least one-year administrative support experience in accounts payable/receivable, finance, and/or debt collection or an associate degree in accounting or related field preferred. The City may require that candidates take and pass a computer skills proficiency test in Microsoft Outlook, Word, and/or Excel at the time of hire.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Answer telephones and maintain multiple files. May require minimal lifting of up to 10 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Standard office environment. Fluorescent lighting, carpeted floors, and air conditioning. Requires attendance at meetings.
RATE: $23.66- $32.18/hour + excellent benefits
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and cover letter; external applicants submit your resume and cover letter via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139 Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and cover letter requested by 01/25/22. Position will remain open until filled.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. THE CITY IS COMMITTED TO ADVANCING A WORKFORCE CULTURE OF ANTIRACISM, DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.