NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: June 11, 2021
LABOR APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED ONGOING BASIS
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Public Works Department (DPW)|
||Forestry Worker MEOI/Laborer|
|Civil Service Position:
||Subject to Civil Service rules and regulations|
||Teamsters Union Local 25 |
|Hours Per Week:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the Working Supervisor performs a variety of manual labor tasks required in urban forestry. Primarily assists in all aspects of tree planting within the urban environment, including opening tree wells in sidewalks, soil remediation, tree installation, compost tea application, mulching, watering, and aftercare. Assists Tree Climbers by handling ropes and guiding tree limbs to the ground; prunes trees and shrubs; cuts down trees and shrubs, chops and saws limbs; cleans up after work is completed and keeps tools clean, sharp, and in operational condition. Operates pick-up trucks, dump trucks, panel trucks and bucket trucks or other vehicles with a rated capacity of 26,001 pounds.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- At least one year of experience in related field
- Arborist certification strongly preferred.
- Must possess a current and valid Commercial Driver's License Classification B
- Must present a valid Department of Transportation medical certificate.
- Must possess a satisfactory driving record
- Candidates must also provide, upon interview, a copy of their unattested driving record, obtainable at the RMV and dated within the previous six months
- Candidates may need to register with the FMCSA Commercial Driver's License Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse https://clearinghouse.fmcsa.dot.gov/register
- All candidates will participate in an on-road driving assessment as part of the interview process.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: All labor positions, skilled, semi-skilled, and unskilled in the Cambridge Department of Public Works require a combination of: Lifting between 25-100 pounds, proper bending, squatting, stretching, pushing, climbing, dragging, and pulling.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Exposure to all weather conditions. Work in a moderate to high noise level environment caused by sound of machinery or powered equipment being used. Occasional odor may occur during the course of work. Required to adhere to all safety rules and regulations as well as dress code policies. Perform other related duties as assigned.
REPORTS TO: Superintendent of Urban Forestry and Landscapes
RATE: $22.52 - $30.62 per hour + excellent benefits (Additional hourly compensations for the attainment of the Arborist certification and 2A Hoisting License) (rate effective 01/1/23)
- Competitive Health, Dental and Vision benefits
- Vacation and sick leave eligible
- Sick Incentive Pay eligible
- 3 Personal Days
- 13 Paid Holidays
Internal applicants with permanent civil service status should submit job bidding form, resume and letter of interest, external applicants must complete a Labor Service Application available from and returned to the Personnel Dept., Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139. Fax: (617) 349-4312 or return by email to email@example.com
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, SEX, RELIGION, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY OR ANY OTHER PROTECTED CATEGORY. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. AUXILIARY AIDS AND SERVICES, WRITTEN MATERIALS IN ALTERNATIVE FORMATS, AND REASONABLE MODIFICATIONS IN POLICIES AND PROCEDURES WILL BE PROVIDED TO QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES FREE OF CHARGE, UPON REQUEST. The City is committed to advancing a workforce culture of antiracism, diversity, equity, and inclusion.