NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: July 15, 2021
RESUME & COVER LETTER REQUESTED BY: 08/05/21 POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
||Community Development Department|
||Community Outreach Worker – Amharic-speaking|
|Civil Service Position:
||Non Civil Service position
|Hours Per Week:
||Up to 19.5 hours per week; hours are flexible but must be able to attend weekly Thursday morning meeting.|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As the planning agency for the City of Cambridge, the Community Development Department’s (CDD) work touches upon all elements of life in the city. While projects vary, our mission unites them all: to foster a livable, sustainable, just, and equitable community for those who live, work, study, and play in Cambridge. CDD has an immediate need for a part-time community outreach worker to engage with Amharic-speaking communities in Cambridge as part of its new Community Engagement Team. Reporting to the Community Engagement Manager, a Community Outreach Worker is expected to be a highly visible presence in Cambridge neighborhoods, support departmental outreach efforts to reach a diverse community, and encourage community leadership.
- Become familiar with resources that CDD provides to Cambridge residents
- Reach out to Amharic-speaking communities in Cambridge and engage them in CDD programs, services, and planning processes
- Encourage Amharic-speaking community members to participate in CDD public events and city planning work. This work may include distributing flyers around the community, posting to social media, attending events, hosting focus groups, visiting local businesses or places of worship, implementing surveys and other engagement opportunities
- Participate in discussions and educate the staff of CDD about outreach strategies for building relationships with hard to reach communities
- Attend all required meetings and training sessions and complete all assignments
- Document all outreach activities and participate as needed in the evaluation of the program
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Must speak Amharic and English
- Cambridge resident strongly preferred
- Sincere desire to work with underserved and underrepresented Cambridge communities
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn about, CDD programs, services, and processes
- High motivation and good time management skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- The City of Cambridge's workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Standard office environment. Fluorescent lighting and air conditioning. Moderate noise level.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Answer telephones and maintain multiple files. May require minimal lifting of up to 10 pounds. Ability to travel around the city independently.
RATE: $16.65 per hour
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and cover letter; external applicants submit both your resume and cover letter via email to: email@example.com or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and cover letter requested by 08/05/21. Position will remain open until filled. Please specify the job title when applying.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. THE CITY IS COMMITTED TO ADVANCING A WORKFORCE CULTURE OF ANTIRACISM, DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.